Fabrication of tools, dies, fixtures, gauges, machine parts and other sophisticated devices. Job requires performing extremely close tolerance machining operations on various materials such as Lexan and other plastics, stainless steel, copper, brass, aluminum, etc. Typical machinery utilized includes lathes, bandsaws, and milling machines. Inventory of bar stock, tools (drills, reamers, grinding wheels, cutters, etc.), solvents, and oils will need to be maintained to support fabrication efforts. Job requires operations to be made directly on products (assembly work) and other work of equal or lesser skill as directed by supervision. Must be willing and able to train less qualified operators on machine shop equipment.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• The work is generally non-repetitive in nature, diverse and frequently complex. Supervision is available at most times but employee is frequently expected to work out problems he encounters and be capable of utilizing skills to aid Engineering and Production in the design and/or proper methods or materials in products and tooling.
• Performs tasks assigned by Engineering Test Services Manager
• Must be mechanically inclined and be able to work independently as well as within a team environment with minimal supervision.
• Ability to read drawings and understand written instructions including manuals, standard practice and work instructions.
• Must be able to work overtime as directed.
• Excellent attendance record must be maintained
• Must be able to effectively communicate with technical staff.
• Requires a minimum of three years of apprentice work as either Tool and Die Maker, Tool Maker, Machinist, or equivalent and three years of work in a tool room.
• Must be able to work from complex blueprints, use a wide variety of precision measuring instruments proficiently, use simple formulas, charge and conversion tables. Work requires strength, versatility and accuracy together with a high degree of manual dexterity. Positioning and alignment are very close and require exactness.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Aerosystems is a world leader in evacuation slides and oxygen systems. It is also a major supplier of safety systems, as well as fluid systems for airplanes and helicopters.