Position will primarily support liferafts and lifevests. In the spirit of teamwork, and in support of the matrix organization, the work may also involve slides and slide/rafts. The successful candidate will be expected to take direction from the Project Managers, and/or the VP of Engineering, take initiative where appropriate and have the ability to effectively communicate with the individuals working in support of Engineering efforts. The position requires strong problem solving skills with the ability to work independently as well as in a team setting, at a fast pace and on multiple projects. Additional desirable skills include the ability and willingness to take a physical, hands-on approach to engineering efforts. The ideal candidate will be proactive with demonstrated forward thinking capabilities, positive attitude and self-motivated.
1. Provide Engineering functions for the entire product development cycle (design, development, qualification, and certification.
2. Write and review test plans and reports.
3. Collect and maintain test data and perform analyses as needed.
4. Participate in and provide direction to technicians for testing (Development/Qualification/Certification).
5. Ability to work as needed in the Engineering Test center during all seasons (Test Center is not climate controlled).
6. Apply root-cause analysis to solve problems as needed.
7. Limited travel to suppliers, customers, test laboratories, and other Safran facilities.
8. Use of computer aided design (CAD) software to design and analyze parts and assemblies.
9. Integrate all technical, cost, value, reliability and manufacturability requirements.
10. Design responsibility for preparation of engineering drawings. Approves release of drawings to Production.
11. Engineering support as necessary of in-house production effort and products in the field.
12. Other duties as assigned.
• BSME or other comparable engineering discipline plus experience with CAD tools such as CATIA.
• Creative problem solver.
• Good communicator, integrator and team player.
Proficiency with Catia is required.
Previous design experience with rafts, fabrics, or inflatables is a plus.
Specificity of the job
limited travel to suppliers, customers, other Safran entities
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Aerosystems is a world leader in evacuation slides and oxygen systems. It is also a major supplier of safety systems, as well as fluid systems for airplanes and helicopters.