The Supplier Quality Engineer acts as the voice of Safran Quality at the supplier and at Safran. This role will design, develop, and implement strategies to improve supplier quality performance in a sustainable way. Identify and mitigate any quality related risks. Ensure quality by deploying processes, capability tools and continuous improvement projects. This position reports to the Team Manager and Supplier Quality in the Supply Chain division.
Requirements include but are not limited to:
• A dynamic personality style with the ability and willingness to promote appropriate change and improvement with suppliers.
• Experience in dealing directly with suppliers and Safran counterparts (purchasing, supply chain, engineering) at multiple levels in the organization.
• Ability to work autonomously, prioritize the workload, assess escalation needs and manage multiple priorities concurrently.
• Conduct audits of the supplier to satisfy Safran quality requirements.
• Ensure that SAFRAN requirements for suppliers are flowed down and followed for new developments, and reach agreement with all interested parties in case of non-compliance proposed by suppliers.
• Plan and implement appropriate monitoring actions with the suppliers including Quality Management System and Product/ Process audits.
• Ability to identify & evaluate quality risks within the supply chain, and propose long term solutions.
• Ability to review supplier deliverables and observe compliance of First Article Inspections (FAI) to complete a qualification file to meet Safran requirements (DVI).
• Communicate management system requirements and other quality system requirements to suppliers (FAA/EASA/CAAC Regulations, AS9100).
• Assure measurement equipment and technique used by supplier is appropriate for the application.
• Measure and monitor supplier performance, process, scorecards, and report performance issues.
• Lead and/or support the APQP process
• Excellent problem resolution, judgment, and decision making skills required with thorough working knowledge of Quality systems methods and practices (DOE, PFMEA, 8D analysis, Control Plans, Lean Manufacturing concepts, DMAIC, Root Cause Analysis, etc.).
• Proficient in use of spreadsheets (report formatting, graphing, formula calculation generation), database, presentation and project management tools (i.e. Excel, Minitab, etc.).
• Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
• Proficient with a personal computer and selected software applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and familiarity with ERP i.e. SAP/Oracle.
• Minimum Bachelors of Science degree from an accredited institution in Engineering (Composite, Mechanical, Industrial, or Equivalent Discipline i.e. Physics).
• Minimum: 5+ years in supplier quality discipline; in aerospace, automotive, or industrial manufacturing environment and project management experience
• Experience in auditing strongly preferred
• Aerospace experience of working with Quality Standards AS9100D / AS9102 strongly preferred
• Preferred: Six Sigma and Lean methodology; certified preferred
• French language skill is a plus.
Specificity of the job
• Must be open to travel as needed (25% -50%).
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
- © Safran