Working alongside and under the direction of the Quoting Manager, the Sr. Project Estimator is responsible for creating proposals and bid documents by collecting and analyzing data for project estimates for Safran Test Cells customers. Additionally, they will play a key role in providing complete and competitive responses to RFQ's and customer specifications for Safran Test Cells products. The Sr. Project Estimator will work towards developing an in-depth understanding of customer needs, evaluate costs, quotes, and other data from vendors and through on-site visits as appropriate to determine Safran's ability to meet customer requirements. The Sr. Project Estimator shall compare current cost estimates with past estimates and project financials to ensure Safran is providing cost effective solutions while leveraging our competitive pricing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• In consultation with the Sales Manager & Quoting Manager, determine best approach to providing complete and competitive responses after reviewing customer RFQ's, specifications, and other relevant documentation.
• Consult with Safran Test Cells' Engineering Management to identify differences between new bids and historical bids to develop cost and price estimates and technical proposals from similar projects.
• Assist the Supply Chain team in developing RFQs for sub-contracted items by consulting with Engineering, Project Management, and other departments.
• In response to Customer RFQs, develop cost estimates, detailed technical proposals, compliance matrices and other bid documents for Safran Test Cells' projects to accurately describe the solution that is being bid and are consistent with one another.
• Update and improve cost estimates and proposal text for Standard Work Packages.
• Visit potential customer sites with the Sales Manager as needed to gain a better understanding of the RFQ and customer needs that will support the bid.
• Partner with Sales and Engineering to balance competing priorities of cost and function to develop cost effective solutions that provide the most value to the customer.
•Interface with various engineering disciplines (ME, EE, CE, Aero-acoustic, etc.) to identify Safran Test Cells' equipment, technical resources, and capabilities to comply with customer requirements.
• Partner with global colleagues to support International proposals and bids.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support Safran Test Cells' Supply Chain Management to identify vendors, build supplier relationships, and evaluate the quotations received for cost and compliance to the requirements.
* Participate in the development of promotional activities such as sales literature development, standard costing and technical proposal models.
• Assist Quoting Manager in training and mentoring Project Estimators and Assistant Project Estimators
• Actively participate in a continuous improvement culture providing recommendations and implementing enhancements to current methods and procedures.
• Bachelor's degree in engineering, math or a related technical field required
• Minimum 8 years of experience required, with 5 years of project estimating experience in a similar industry.
• Ability to exercise initiative and judgment as well as make decisions within scope of assigned authority
• Strong communication skills both verbal and written with a proven ability to be assertive yet approachable delivering a positive customer service experience
• Demonstrated strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work independently
• Proficient in Excel and Word; knowledgeable in MS Projects and PowerPoint
• Detail-oriented self-starter with ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple activities in various stages of completion
• Solid analytical and problem-solving skills including problem identification, analysis, action planning and execution
• Demonstrated ability to understand engineering drawings and models
• Proven ability to communicate about both customer needs and solutions
• Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; actively seeks opportunities to improve and promote quality and monitors own work to ensure quality is met
• Demonstrated ability to deliver a positive customer service experience
• Highly developed skill set in leadership practices including ability to balance risk, effectively
influence diverse teams, and ownership of responsibility for outcomes
• Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with customers, suppliers, and team members
• Ability to think critically to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
Specificity of the job
• Able and willing to travel up to 10% of the time both domestically and internationally, as required
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Aero Boosters designs, develops and manufactures low-pressure compressors, equipment and test cells for aerospace propulsion. The company's products are on board the majority of commercial aircraft in service as well as Europe's Ariane launch vehicle. Based in Liège (Belgium), Safran Aero Boosters has two subsidiaries in the United States and employs 1,800 people.
- © Safran