Under the direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager, the Mechanical Designer II is responsible for supporting and creating complex mechanical designs and performance calculations related to the testing of various jet engines and their ability to withstand specified loading conditions, including material selection and specification, sheet metal, weldments, and machining and strength characteristics. The Mechanical Designer II will support other Mechanical Engineers to complete assigned tasks in compliance with the quality and standards of Safran Test Cells.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Analyze, design, and draft higher complexity, detailed mechanical designs and design criteria which comply with industry standards and Safran Test Cells' design and quality standards and practices as well as customer specifications.
• Responsible for the design of large custom steel assemblies to withstand specified loading conditions, including material selection and specification, sheet metal, weldments, and machining and strength characteristics.
• Perform calculations, in activities related to product, form, fit, structural requirements and function supporting project requirements.
• Ensure cost effective mechanical designs in compliance with specified technical and contractual requirements.
• Design with awareness of manufacturing ease, material availability, likely deviation requests, shipping constraints, ease of installation and product maintenance and usability in addition to the amount of engineering effort required to complete the task.
• Provide ongoing feedback and recommendations to management on deliverables completing assigned tasks with minimal supervision and in accordance with schedule requirements.
Page 2 of 3 1-Oct-2019
• Complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision and in accordance with schedule and budget requirements.
• Acquire ongoing knowledge necessary to perform job assignments and to improve technology, products and processes.
• Actively participate in a continuous improvement culture providing recommendations and implementing enhancements to current methods and procedures.
• Able and willing to travel up to 10% of the time both domestically and internationally, as required.
• Demonstrated strong knowledge of CAD and CAE; 3D Solid Modeling (Siemens NX preferred), AutoCAD familiarity, and FEA.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written with a proven ability to be assertive yet approachable delivering a positive customer service and team experience.
• Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; actively seeks opportunities to improve and promote quality and monitors own work to ensure quality is met.
• Proficient with MS Office programs to include Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Self-motivated, organized, able to multi-task, prioritize and excel in a fast-paced environment while exercising initiative and judgment as well as making decisions within scope of assigned authority.
• Solid analytical and problem-solving skills including Risk analysis, FMEA, problem identification, action planning and execution.
• Associates degree in technical or engineering related discipline required.
• 5+ years of mechanical design experience required.
• Regulatory experience with CE and ATEX preferred.
• Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, Engineering Drawing Practices, Structural Welding Codes and Drafting Standards preferred.
Specificity of the job
Able and willing to travel up to 10% of the time both domestically and internationally, as required.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Aero Boosters designs, develops and manufactures low-pressure compressors, equipment and test cells for aerospace propulsion. The company's products are on board the majority of commercial aircraft in service as well as Europe's Ariane launch vehicle. Based in Liège (Belgium), Safran Aero Boosters has two subsidiaries in the United States and employs 1,800 people.
- © Safran