Working under the direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager, the Mechanical Engineer II is responsible for creating layouts and designs of mechanical parts and systems of moderate to high complexity to execute the mechanical design of jet engine test facilities and systems. They will perform duties with minimal supervision, support other Mechanical Engineers as needed and ensure that projects are completed on schedule and to Safran Test Cells' Quality standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create layout and design of mechanical parts and systems of moderate to high complexity to execute the mechanical design of jet engine test facilities and systems that are designed to withstand specified loading conditions, including material selection and specification, sheet metal, weldments, and machining and strength characteristics.
• Perform moderate to high complexity calculations, in activities related to product, form, fit, structural requirements and function supporting project requirements.
• Assist Mechanical Engineer I personnel with their projects and design assignments, as needed.
• Complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision and in accordance with schedule and budget requirements.
• Provide ongoing feedback and recommendations to management on deliverables completing assigned tasks with minimal supervision and in accordance with schedule requirements.
• Establish and verify design criteria, ensuring that product designs are produced in accordance with company design and quality standards and practices as well as customer specifications.
• Ensure cost effective mechanical designs in compliance with specified technical and contractual requirements.
• Design with awareness of manufacturing ease, material availability, likely deviation requests, shipping constraints, ease of installation and product maintenance and usability in addition to the amount of engineering effort required to complete the task.
• Acquire ongoing knowledge necessary to perform job assignments and to improve technology, products and processes.
• Provide product support through design, manufacturing, installation, and commissioning of test cells.
• Actively participate in a continuous improvement culture providing recommendations and implementing enhancements to current methods and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned.
The above position description is intended to describe the general content, identify the essential job functions, and set forth the requirements for the performance of the position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of job functions or requirements. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested. Position responsibilities are subject to change over time in order to accommodate changing organizational needs.
• Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field required.
• 3 to 7 years of Mechanical Engineering experience required.
• Design experience in both US and SI units and materials specifications preferred.
• Regulatory experience with CE preferred.
• Working knowledge of CAD, 3D Solid Modeling, AutoCAD, FEA, FMEA, Risk analysis and mechanical drafting standards.
• Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Design and Drafting Standards, Engineering Drawing Practices, and Structural Welding Code.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written with a proven ability to be assertive yet approachable delivering a positive customer service and team experience.
• Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; actively seeks opportunities to improve and promote quality and monitors own work to ensure quality is met.
• Self-motivated, organized, able to multi-task, prioritize and excel in a fast-paced environment while exercising initiative and judgment as well as making decisions within scope of assigned authority.
• Solid analytical and problem-solving skills including problem identification, analysis, action planning and execution.
Specificity of the job
• Able and willing to travel up to 10% of the time both domestically and internationally, as required.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Aero Boosters designs, develops and manufactures low-pressure compressors, equipment and test cells for aerospace propulsion. The company's products are on board the majority of commercial aircraft in service as well as Europe's Ariane launch vehicle. Based in Liège (Belgium), Safran Aero Boosters has two subsidiaries in the United States and employs 1,800 people.