The Legal Counsel is responsible for supporting the business divisions of Safran USA in the
negotiation of commercial contracts and for providing legal support on a wide variety of
matters, including employment, litigation and disputes, strategic transactions, corporate
governance, real estate and regulatory issues. This position supports all stages of the contract
negotiation process, from the initial request-for-proposal through signing and closing. This role
provides the opportunity to work on a range of legal issues and to negotiate contracts relating
to a diverse set of products, services, customers and suppliers. The Legal Counsel works
closely with the Safran legal team and the leadership of Safran's business divisions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identify and mitigate all business and legal risks in prospective and existing contracts and
ensure the necessary internal approvals from management have been obtained.
• Review, draft, and negotiate a diverse range of corporate and transactional agreements and
• Perform contract negotiations directly with customers and suppliers and support leadership
during higher level negotiations.
• Coordinate contractual review with the appropriate cross-functional leadership in a variety of
areas, such as tax, engineering, compliance, insurance and human resources.
• Work on ad hoc legal projects, including but not limited to, new policies, templates and
processes, and other corporate legal and regulatory matters.
• Manage and support resolution of disputes and litigation.
• Review and analyze RFPs and customer contractual templates in support of Safran's
• Analyze and ensure compliance with Safran legal practices and U.S. federal and state law.
• Provide independent analysis of business/contract issues to support decision making.
• Support the performance of existing contracts by interpreting and ensuring compliance with
• Ability to negotiate, draft, review, and revise contractual documents at a high-volume
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to convey complex information in a
way that others can readily follow.
• Strong understanding of corporate law and contractual principles.
• Ability to research legal and compliance issues to formulate recommendations to
• Customer-focused with the capacity to resolve moderately complex contracting issues with
creative solutions while meeting Safran requirements for risk mitigation.
• Experience in applying corporate policies and standards in a variety of contractual contexts.
• Ability to perform multiple assignments simultaneously and to organize and prioritize job
duties effectively with minimal direction in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent negotiating and persuasive skills, both in one-on-one and group situations.
• Ability to systematically analyze potential risk and complex issues, drawing relevant
conclusions and implementing appropriate solutions.
• Business acumen with the ability to recognize risk elements in business transactions and to
understand the products or services that are the subject matter of a contract.
• Ability to interact effectively and in a professional and supportive manner with persons in all
job responsibilities and from all backgrounds.
• Five or more years of combined law firm or in-house experience.
• Law degree from an accredited law school required.
• Licensed to practice law in the state of Texas or New York.
• Legally authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship.
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally when appropriate.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and similar software applications
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
- © Safran