Reporting to the Manager, Stress Engineering, the Stress Engineer 3 performs structural evaluation of aircraft primary and secondary structure as well as interior products to ensure compliance to applicable requirements independently. Utilize strong knowledge of structural requirements, analysis techniques, testing methods, and documentation procedures. Support design engineering and certification with regards to the mechanical evaluation during all phases of product development. May hold team lead duties.
1. Prepare and review complex structural substantiation documents which include stress analysis, static test plans, static test results, interface loads analysis, comparative analysis
2. Work with minimal guidance from Stress Engineers 4 to complete substantiation documents, and provide guidance for Stress Engineers 1 and 2
3. Research all relevant technical specifications, aircraft configurations and data to understand the loading environment and structural requirements, and advise Design Engineering
4. Consistently communicate with Program/Engineering Managers, senior Stress Engineers and Product/Project Engineers to provide structural feedback and status their portion of the project.
5. Lead M&S input of information for design reviews (kick off, Preliminary Design Review, and Critical Design Review)
6. Approve drawings and Engineering Change Notices for structural airworthiness at Configuration Control Board meetings
7. Review and disposition for nonconformance reports to validate repair schemes
8. Manage individual and overall project tasks to schedule and budget in the Engineering Task Management System
9. Support and lead development of processes and standards for the Stress Domain
10. Engage with Customer on Technical Meetings
11. Oversee and mentor less experienced Stress Engineers
12. Considered to be subject matter expert, participate in internal design reviews not only in stress domain but in others as well.
13. Ensure task deadlines are met
14. Perform all other duties as assigned.
May act as team lead, overseeing test technicians and junior Stress Engineers. Duties may include scheduling work, monitoring/ creating tasks, approving timecards, training staff and contributing feedback to annual performance reviews.
Education: Bachelor's degree or higher in Aerospace, Aeronautical, Mechanical, Civil, or related Engineering field.
Experience: Minimum 8 year of stress analysis experience.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Strong knowledge of CAD, PLM Systems and Computational Based Analytical Software
• Strong knowledge and understanding of regulatory requirements, customer specifications and company specifications.
• Must have a Strong understanding of load paths, stability of structure, and aircraft structural behavior. Must be fully capable of performing analysis with classical equations and with numerical (Finite Element) analysis methods
• Proficient understanding with some capability in finite element analysis and rigid body analysis utilizing commercial software
• High Level proficiency with static test equipment, fixtures and procedures.
• Full knowledge and application of the Stress Engineering Manual
• Strong understanding of material properties, material test methods and processes to obtain material design values including Statistical Methods (CMH17) as it applies to strength basis, material substitution and controlling material.
Description: Senior-level position within field.
Specificity of the job
Traveling may be required.
The expected salary range for this position is between $109,800 - $158,600 USD. Actual compensation will be determined based on experience, education, and other factors permitted by law.
Locate your future workplace
5701, Bolsa avenue, CA 92647
California United States