Are you passionate about technology or aviation? Come invent the solutions of tomorrow in the aerospace and defense industry, with an international group where innovation, teamwork and continuing, daily education are fundamental values. Join us!
• Your Career: Safran is committed to providing internal mobility to our employees. We operate globally so the sky is the limit of where your Safran journey can take you.
• Your Development: Safran employees have free access to Safran University courses and external tuition reimbursement for approved programs or certifications.
• Your Benefits: Our suite of comprehensive benefits include health care (medical, dental and vision), life insurance, 401(k) savings plans with company match, paid time off, and more!
Safran Cabin headquarters are in Huntington Beach, California, with a global presence of over 10,000 employees at 39 sites. Site locations are in the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Germany, France, Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Tunisia and Thailand. Safran Cabin serves over 400 airlines and leasing companies globally and delivers to all airframe OEM manufacturers with a heritage spanning over 80 years in the industry.
Safran's Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) goes beyond our facility walls. We value and support the communities where we live and work. One of Safran's values and CSR pillar is Corporate Citizenship that helps drive economic, social and cultural progress by sharing our gifts with those around us. We actively contribute to social inclusion and equal opportunity by integrating underserved communities and promoting diversity throughout our companies.
The Project Engineer 2 (PE2) is responsible for all engineering and technical aspects of a specific system, subsystem, or component of a product. The PE2 serves as the primary contact point for the design, development, qualification, certification, and integration of the product. The PE2 also provides technical inputs regarding budget, procurement, and scheduling for those items under the responsibility of Engineering. The PE2 is responsible for monitoring progress, and providing management the appropriate visibility on all aspects of the project.
The PE2 is responsible and accountable for ensuring that all assigned engineering personnel are coordinating their activities with other project participants and that the requirements of the Contract are being satisfied. A PE2 typically leads a moderate NRE/medium-high revenue growth program comprised of multiple/complex monuments and/or with new technology. A PE2 is usually assigned to a medium or medium high risk program contained in a large single site or multiple sites. The program is typically for an established customer with multiple subcontractors. May directly supervise 1 to 10 Design Engineers.
Communication (internal and external) [PE Competency]
• Primary technical contact for the project internally and externally.
• Creates and manages the Features Analysis / Long Lead item list to ensure an on-time First Article Inspection (FAI).
• Issues design memorandums and meeting minutes.
• Responsible for notifying certification departments throughout the program, as a planning function, of changes to the design that impact certification aspects.
Coordinating Inter-facility / Department / Business Unit Integration [Program Complexity Span of Control]
• Ensures up-front integration of Industrial Design requirements.
• Defines the standard parts, materials, and notes to be used to ensure commonality across all products.
• Ensures correct integration of products and equipment from other facilities or BUs
• Coordinates activities during initial production of new product designs to prevent, evaluate and/or resolve engineering related production and installation problems.
• Coordinates the construction of samples, mockups, prototypes, and the execution of development tests, to minimize the risk of failures of new, untested materials, or designs.
• Provides the Certification and Technical Publications departments the information required to meet all report and manual submittal requirements for the airframe manufacturer, regulatory agency, and the customer.
Design Leadership [PE Competency]
• Contributes to the preparation of proposals, including the development of statements of work and non-recurring engineering estimates.
• Formulates conceptual design to meet customer requirements.
• Establishes and tracks all design criteria associated with the product throughout the duration of the project and disseminates them to all engineering team.
• Leads and manages the design input to all customer and internal design review meetings.
Overall Technical Success of the Project & First Time Quality [PE Competency]
• Responsible for product design conformity to engineering principles, and compliance to regulatory requirements, customer requirements, quality standards, and specifications.
• Defines the test requirements necessary to satisfy regulatory certification requirements, and to develop robust, reliable products.
• Drives the engineering team to Design-for-Manufacturing (DFM).
• Facilitate frequent IDR (Internal Design Review) meetings ensuring participation with Senior Design engineers from different programs and Experts from within our organization.
• Responsible for managing and meeting the weight and schedule for design deliverables for the project.
• Approves 2D and 3D design data.
Technical Management [Technical Risk / Financial Impact]
Technical Schedule Management
• Use Task Management Software to create and maintain a project plan including manpower requirements, while monitoring the progress of the design against the plan; informs management when schedule will not be met so that adjustments can be made.
• Provide management with frequent (preferred weekly) Task Management Software progress reports.
• Status and track suppliers engineering progress to support program requirements.
• Responsible for financial targets as established by the Project Manifesto with regards to Bill of Materials, Tooling, Materials, Processes, and other KPIs as applicable.
• Drives the engineering team to Design-to-Cost (DTC).
Technical Scope and Change Management
• Monitors scope of work changes that may affect schedule, cost, or weight and communicates impacts to the Program Manager.
• Evaluates and approves design changes.
• Maintains the certified status of the project.
Team Development [PE Competency]
• Supports and develops the overall technical competency of the project team through mentoring, formal training, and on-the-job experience.
• Assesses the skills of the team and works with the Engineering Manager to make formal training plans.
Education: Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent
Experience: Minimum 5-10 years of experience working on aircraft products with expanding responsibilities relating to program execution. At least three (3) years on programs requiring FAA or EASA certification.
Managerial Experience: 3-7 years of experience in Project Management, broad knowledge of Project Engineer competencies.
Specificity of the job
Travel: The ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required to support customer meetings and design reviews.
Computer Skills: Experience with Windows 7 Operating System, MS Office: Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. CATIA V5 (viewing and analyzing), SmarTeam.
Education: Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent
Additional Preferred Skills: (not required)
- Desired leadership experience in Aerospace (functional lead, project lead)
It is the policy of Safran to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, gender identity, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Cabin is a world leader in fully integrated Cabin Interiors, Catering Systems and Cargo Equipment.