Reporting to the Manager, Modeling & Simulation, with functional tie to the Chief Engineer, M&S, the Modeling and Simulation (M&S) Engineer 4 performs and provides oversight of structural evaluation of aircraft primary and secondary structure as well as interior products to ensure compliance to applicable requirements. Utilize expert level knowledge of structural requirements, analysis techniques, testing methods, and documentation procedures. Support design engineering and certification with regards to the mechanical evaluation during all phases of product development. May hold team lead duties.
Summary of Duties:
• Prepare and review complex structural substantiation documents which include stress analysis, interface loads analysis, comparative analysis
• Coordinate structural substantiation documents which include stress analysis, interface loads analysis, comparative analysis
• Provide guidance and oversight to all M&S and Stress Engineers to complete substantiation documents
• Research all relevant technical specifications, aircraft configurations and data to understand the loading environment and structural requirements and advise design engineering and provide guidance to less experienced Stress and M&S Engineers
• Consistently communicate with Program/Engineering Managers, and Product/Project Engineers to provide structural feedback and project status
• Lead and review M&S input of information for design reviews (kick off, Preliminary Design Review, and Critical Design Review)
• Approve and oversee drawings and Engineering Change Notices for structural airworthiness at Configuration Control Board meetings
• Provide oversight and approves nonconformance reports to validate repair schemes
• Manage individual and overall project tasks to schedule and budget in the Engineering Task Management System
• Lead development of processes, standards, and methodologies for the M&S Domain
• Engage with Customer on Technical Meetings
• Provide oversight and mentoring for less experienced M&S Engineers
• Provide technical leadership in internal and customer design reviews
• Prepare NRE estimates, task breakdowns, and resource plans for assigned projects
• Engage in Strategy and Technical Roadmap development to increase efficiency and capability of M&S Domain
• Monitor progress to project plan and provide cost to complete estimates through the life of the project
• Develop and conduct presentations to peers, upper management, internal/external and international customers
• Exhibit overall engineering and certification knowledge for potential role as OEM signatory or ODA Structural UM.
May act as team lead, overseeing test technicians and junior Modeling & Simulation Engineers. Duties may include scheduling work, monitoring/ creating tasks, approving time cards, training staff and contributing feedback to annual performance reviews.
Education: Bachelor's degree or higher in Aerospace, Aeronautical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, or related engineering field
Experience: Minimum 10 years of stress analysis experience
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Expert knowledge of CAD, PLM Systems and Computational Based Analytical Software
• Expert Level understanding of load paths, stability of structure, and aircraft structural behavior
• Fully capable of performing analysis with classical equations and with numerical (Finite Element) analysis methods with expertise in multiple computational areas
• Expert level knowledge and understanding of regulatory requirements, customer specifications and company specifications.
• Expert understanding and capability in finite element analysis or CFD and rigid body analysis utilizing commercial software
• Expert understanding of material properties, material test methods, and processes to obtain material design values including Statistical Methods (CMH17) as it applies to strength basis, material substitution, and controlling material
• Advanced Level proficiency with static test equipment, fixtures, and procedures
• Expert Level knowledge and application of the Stress Engineering Manual. Provides governance of standards across Stress Domain
Description: Senior-level position within field
At Safran, diversity & inclusion is a source of richness that adds quality of life, performance, and innovation. We welcome diverse contributions and provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, disability/medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic characteristics or information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Specificity of the job
Traveling may be required
Locate your future workplace
5701 Bolsa Ave CA 92647
California United States