The person in this position will be responsible for the Commodity Strategy that will be or will have been established for assigned commodities in the Branch and will oversee a group of strategic suppliers that constitute the Safran Cabin supply base.
The Commodity Manager defines, deploys and governs, in full alignment with the Branch Strategic Purchasing vision & strategy, the strategic supplier base primarily referenced 'Preferred or Essential' according to the applicable Supplier Status management Group procedures, working closely with the needs of the Purchasing managers from the Branch Operating Sites. The Commodity Manager settles and concludes the Negotiation Terms, Performance and Long Term Agreement on behalf of the Branch Legal entities. The Commodity Manager builds and leads the Suppliers Performance Review and Commodity Strategy Reviews and reports on a regular basis in the dedicated Strategic Purchasing Committee. In the frame of the mission entrusted to him, the Commodity Manager reports directly to the Branch Strategic Purchasing VP.
Responsible for the Commodity Strategy
• For a defined list of commodity/commodities, establishes the Commodity strategy with the full involvement of the other Operating Sites of the Branch, as applicable.
• Defines the sourcing and supplier base strategy (Make or Buy, consolidation, reduction, development of new source).
• Ensures adherence to the Cabin Sourcing Council process flow
• Reports, communicates on a regular basis the strategy progress and outputs at the Branch and Divisions leadership levels.
• Consolidates all data related to the commodity from the Sites. Stays abreast of all innovations and technical evolutions with the view to integrate into a supplier management and contractual relationship.
• Builds the planning, KPIs assessment related to the strategy.
• Ensures follow-up of the strategy commodity implementation within the site level.
• For the applicable commodity/commodities, is the referent externally and internally
Consolidation of data related to the common Strategic Suppliers
• Drives market analysis, outlooks and competition analysis, Turn-Over evolution and dependency ratios from the different sites and for the Branch.
• Gathers and updates the supplier data.
• Operational Performance at each Site:
• On Time Deliveries (SOTD including VLD)
• Quality of the deliveries (SNCR)
• Consolidates the annual Purchasing Performance achieved related to their commodity and builds the visibility on 3 out years.
• Leads with the support of Supplier Development team the risks analysis - including follow-up of the mitigation plan.
• Provides a consolidated picture updated before each Performance Review.
Management of the Suppliers Contractual Relationship
• Prepares and processes Global RFQ: includes the needs and volumes of the concerned sites in the commodity.
• Negotiates the LTA and defines the acceptable Terms and Conditions applicable with support from strategic purchasing leadership and Legal as needed.
• Manages the non-performance penalties application with the different site
Monitoring of the Suppliers Performance
• Reviews non-conformance reports written against his/her suppliers and relays information to them.
• Organizes, defines frequency and prepares the Supplier Performance Review Meeting. In this context, ensures coordination with the sites, Purchasing Quality, Supplier Development Team, Engineering and Program when relevant.
• Supports the Supplier Development team and the Supplier Quality team, as needed, when the implementation of Operational Excellence initiatives at the supplier (SOTD, VLD, SNCR) are triggered.
• Collaborates for innovation: in the development of supplier‘s offers on a technological aspect according to Program/new project's needs.
• Efficiency of the mission:
o Evolution of the Operational performance of the suppliers and for all the Business Units concerned in the Branch : SOTD, VLD,SNCR
o Implementation of Agreements with Suppliers
o Annual Cost reduction with the suppliers
Education: Bachelor's degree
Experience: At least 10 years in the position of Strategic Buyer or Manager. Commodity Management experience for a global organization is preferred.
• Advanced knowledge Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Strong knowledge of the Purchasing Process and Supplier Quality Assurance
• Strong knowledge of the technologies and process of the suppliers in their commodities.
• Negotiation skills and capability to adapt
• Good understanding of ERP systems principles
• Familiarity with relevant laws and regulations
• Management of business relationship for the internal network: openness, listening skills, understand specificities but oriented on global optimization of the results.
• Fluent communication in English, another European language a plus.
• Must know the market linked to the Commodity and understand its technical and technological aspects, as such being an expert in the category.
• Act as a resource for less experienced Commodity Managers
Aviation industry experience
Aircraft/Train/Automotive Interior familiarity
Engineering Degree and/or work experience
It is the policy of Safran to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, gender identity, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws. #LI-KO1
Specificity of the job
International and domestic travel, up to 25%
Position may be based near any Safran Cabin site globally.
Safran Cabin global headquarters is in Huntington Beach, CA but there are Cabin offices across North America and Europe.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Cabin is a world leader in fully integrated Cabin Interiors, Catering Systems and Cargo Equipment.
Huntington Beach, California
Huntington Beach, California