Summary of Job Purpose:
- Responsible for assuring the quality of purchased product through the use of advanced quality planning, production part approval, pre-award and surveillance audits and on-going supplier support. The primary duties and responsibilities for this position include the Grand Prairie, TX and Costa Mesa, CA sites.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the quality of products delivered to SAL is in conformity with the applicable requirements.
- Manage the supplier quality process and procedures.
- Perform initial and recurring audit of suppliers in conformance to quality system requirements.
- Communicate management system requirements and other quality system requirements to suppliers (FAA/EASA/CAAC Regulations, AS9100).
- Assure measurement equipment and technique used by supplier is appropriate for the application.
- Measure and monitor supplier performance, process, scorecards, and report performance issues.
- Lead and/or support the APQP process
- Coordinate with SAL Purchasing to conduct supplier site visits as needed in developing supplier to meet SAL quality requirements.
- Provide support to incoming inspection.
- Investigate, coordinate, audit, and critique supplier corrective action activities, including reoccurrence prevention.
- Evaluate the technical and quality capabilities of potential supplier, assess the selected suppliers, and approve or disapprove new and existing suppliers.
- Provide supplier quality assistance consistent with SAL corporate goals.
- Serve as the technical and administrative liaison for quality issues between the SAL and the Supplier including re-identification, documentation, recalls, parts issues, material review board (MRB) decisions, NCMR decisions etc.
- Provide support to SAL Production for matters related to supplier quality.
- Assist all areas in reduction of non-quality costs, utilizing Cost of Quality, rejections rates, and supplier quality metrics and scorecards.
- Authority to stop a process known to create a non-conformance or to hold a document known to be non-conforming.
- Responsibility to propose solutions to known non-conformances.
- Responsibility to respond to customer requests efficiently and with enthusiasm insuring the customer feels a high level of confidence when dealing with SAL employees, products and services.
- Responsibility to develop a clear understanding of customer needs.
- Responsibility to document non-conformances.
- Responsibility to identify immediate response to non-conformances and to communicate final solutions throughout the department.
- Responsibility to verify solutions and authority to implement solutions.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Comply with all safety, health and environmental reg
Physical Requirements :
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Required travel: 40 - 50%
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field with 5-10 years of Supplier Quality experience, preferably in the Aerospace industry.
- Certified Quality Engineer (CQE), Certified Quality Auditor (CQA), or Certified Quality Manager (CQMgr) through American Society for Quality (ASQ) preferred.
- Intermediate – Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Advanced Professional- Knowledge of professional practices, sources of information, and rules and regulations that can be interpreted, adapted, and applied to the unique requirements of the organization
- Good Quality skills set and good interpersonal skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons. A U.S. person as a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. green card holder), political asylee or refugee.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to manage multiple suppliers located around the world.
- Experience with supplier development and continuous improvement through Lean Six Sigma, APQP, PPAP, DPPM
- Experience with problem solving methodology such as A3 and 8D
- Ability to manage supplier corrective actions and material returns (SCAR and RMA).
- Knowledge of FAA regulations (for TSO and PMA parts production and Part 145 repair)
- Formalize and plan Quality assurance activities of a program or a product
- Assess, synthesize and present Quality issues/risks of a product/program. Share them with internal stakeholders
- Manage and coordinate solutions when a product is non-conforming. Lead problem solving teams
- Assist in process improvements
- Development quality and manufacturing quality knowledge
- Product knowledge
- Configuration management knowledge
- Engineering drawings and technical documentation
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, schematics, and technical documentation
- Good working knowledge of first article inspection preparation and execution
- Advanced knowledge of statistical tools and systems (Minitab) and their use such as Statistical Process Control, reliability and Gage R&R.
- Ability to create inspection standards, sampling plans and control plans
- Read (blueprints, GD&T, manuals, AS9102 FAI, control plans, engineering standards, procedures)
- Write (supplier reports, control plans, procedures, corrective action reports and evaluation results) and monitor supplier performance
- Operate computer terminals, photocopiers, telephone
- Interact with outside suppliers, customers and co-workers in a positive and constructive manner
Leadership skills / Management skills / Personal skills
- Communication skills
- Time management (Priorities management)
- Ability to analyze and synthesize
- Results oriente
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Electronics & Defense is a world leader in the supply of solutions and services in optronics, avionics, electronics and critical software for both civil and military markets. The company equips more than 1,000 ships, 25,000 land vehicles and 10,000 aircraft worldwide.
- © Safran