Perform design and justification responsibilities in the development of pilot control systems, throttle control systems, actuation systems, and related flight control products for the next generation of business, regional, military and air-transport aircraft. Engineering duties will span the entire product lifecycle, from initial design and requirements capture through manufacture and system testing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Requirements development, validation, and design compliance justification
• Conceptual studies of electro-mechanical architectures
• Provides expertise input and guidance to designs and development of competitive electromechanical actuation system solutions
• Mechanical design, analysis, troubleshooting, and review of components, sub-assemblies, and assemblies.
• Work closely with stress engineers to ensure robustness of designs
• System steady-state and transient performance assessments and trade studies
• Understands and is fully proficient with project management, engineering documentation requirements, and engineering analysis tools.
• Verification/Test planning, development, and execution
• Coordination with manufacturing operations for production process fidelity
• Scope, Budget, and schedule management
• Thorough knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, policies, and compliance requirements.
• Ability to effectively communicate and present status, actions, recommendations, and other technical information with clarity and precision.
Education / Experience:
o Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited institution. Masters degree (MS) preferred.
o Minimum of 10 years engineering experience performing electromechanical tasks
o Legally authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship
o This position requires use of information or access to hardware, which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee
Skills and Abilities:
• Experience with motor selection and/or gear train sizing and implementation (spur gear, worm gear, ball screw, rack and pinion, etc)
• Tolerance and clearance analyses, particularly using GD&T
• Demonstrated experience with datum selection and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerance
• Kinematic and kinetic design and analysis
• Free body diagram creation
• Understanding of environmental effects (thermal, vibration, etc.) on mechanical design
• Statistical distributions and analysis
• Experience in material selection and component sizing
• Experience in the area of feedback control systems, integrated system/interface design
• Demonstrated experience in mechanism/actuation system design or other similar electro-mechanical systems
• Experience in aerospace development processes
• Proficiency in using NX(8.5/10.5) for product design or other similar CAD tools
• Must be a proven self-starter requiring minimal supervision, with excellent foresight and problem-solving skills
Physical Requirements :
o While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
o The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
o The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Electronics & Defense is a world leading supplier of products and services that handle observation, decision and guidance functions for both civil and military applications. The company understands and applies a wide range of the state-of-the-art technologies that underpin embedded intelligence in many different areas, as a supplier to some of today's most innovative aerospace and defense programs.