To provide Design support for new, existing, R&T, R&D and legacy power generation and motor, products lines, by investigating, developing and documenting robust design solutions to aid manufacture through tooling, ergonomic handling and transport packaging, which support both the program and customer requirements.
• Applying Mechanical Design expertise in support of project/s covering, Research and Development (R&D), Research and Technology (R&T), Through Life Support (TLS) and Operations.
• No specific budgetary responsibility.
• No Direct reports.
• To support as part of the Industrialisation team, the Design activities required to facilitate manufacture and handling of the products, on Projects in R&D, R&T, TLS and Operations, from the concept stage through development and qualification testing and into technology readiness.
• The production of Design Schemes, including 3D Parametric CAD models, Assemblies and 2D drawings, for concept and detail designs of tooling and other equipment.
• To carry out design calculations such as interference fits, thermal growths, hoop and tensile stresses, thread loadings and tolerance analysis to support concept and detail designs.
• To liaise closely with other project team members such as stress, manufacturing, sourcing and configuration with respect to new designs or design changes.
• The production of design assurance documentation including ERN's and Design Reports.
• The production and maintenance of parts lists as defined by the latest CAD assemblies.
• To support the achievement of monthly milestone targets, to support project needs and timescales. Monitor progress and ensure satisfactory milestone compliance.
• To support the senior design team to ensure the technical integrity of the product and that it meets all performance, reliability, cost and safety requirements.
• Provide support to other team members in completion of their activities.
• To investigate Engineering Change Requests and asses by calculation, test or by CAD modelling, their effect on the airworthiness of the equipment.
• To asses First Article Inspection Reports, Permits and Concessions where deviations from existing standard are identified.
• To produce ECR Investigations, design reports and other documentation as required by the above.
• To liaise with other departments such as: Manufacturing, Spares, Sourcing, Stress, Materials, and Development in the gathering of data required for investigations.
• A Mechanical, Automotive or Aeronautical Engineering degree or equivalent qualification.
• Must be self-sufficient and largely self-motivated.
• Ability to communicate clearly through written and verbal means to all levels
• Ability to work under pressure to meet program deadlines.
• Some Design experience especially tooling, handling equipment, rotating equipment, shaft, bearings seals, structures etc., is desirable.
• Relevant experience with a parametric 3D CAD software and PLM packages, ideally UG NX / CATIA, TeamCentre / WindChill.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Tools, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project.
• Knowledge of current drafting standards including UK BS8888 and European ANSI 14.1.
• A good understanding of engineering materials and the production methods relevant to them.
• Must be able to produce designs and drawings with consideration of ‘Design to Cost' (DTC), and ease of manufacture and assembly (DFM/DFA).
• Good time management, proactive with an ability to prioritise.
• Must have the ability to plan work efficiently, to meet agreed monthly milestone tasks.
• Must be able to produce and deliver technical presentations to employees at various levels.
Specificity of the job
Locate your future workplace
Pitstone Business Park Westfield Rd, LU7 9GT
England United Kingdom