This role is responsible for managing the Test, Means and Laboratory team and facilities using the resources at their disposal in order to perform the Validation and Verification activities on SEP products. This role will also forge links with the Test Equipment team in Operations at Pitstone as well as at other similar Engineering V&V teams at other sites in SAFRAN.
- Manages the Test, Means and Laboratory team comprising of circa 10 permanent engineers, including Senior Engineer work package owners and additional contractor resources / external work packages, as and when required.
- Responsible for supporting the definition and flow down annual Business Objectives, including monitoring and corrective action to ensure they are achieved.
- Defining the overall testing schedule for all SEP programmes. Ensuring all Test and V&V activities carried out by the team are effectively communicated, planned for and delivered on time and on cost.
- Responsible for managing the EMC, Electronic and Engineering Test Laboratory (Inc. 12 Test cells and Environmental Chambers / Rigs) ensuring that they are maintained, calibrated and developed to ensure the testing capabilities can support current and future products in line with the overall V&V Strategy.
- Responsible for ensuring agreed staffing and skill levels are achieved and maintained in line with Business needs.
- Ensure the successful delivery of Work Packages for Machine and Drive Systems Test activities, but will also include similar deliverables for Product Support, Operations, etc. from time to time.
- Responsible for establishing processes specific to the Test activities, and adherence of the team (both internal and external) to those processes.
- Leading the Test and Means function to, when required, resolve highly complex and unusual problems.
- Financial Responsibilities for Capital Expenditure (agreed with Validation and Verification Engineering Manager & Tech Audit & Airworthiness Head of Design Organisation to align with Product level roadmaps and Safran allocated budget, and Operational Expenditure (OPEX) budget management for General Equipment Maintenance and Repair of circa £250k annually.
- Ensure the highest value for money in terms of Engineering economic performance
- Accountable for the technical quality of all deliverables from the Test & Means team.
- Accountable for defining and co-ordinating the resource requirements for the team in terms of staff numbers, equipment and facility requirements as well as tools and methodologies
- Accountable for developing and maintaining sufficient breadth and depth of technical skills and competency to meet the evolving needs of the Business.
- Accountable for establishing processes specific to test activities, and adherence of the teams within the EMC, Electronics Lab and Test cells (both internal and external resources) to those processes.
- Accountable for interpreting and executing Engineering related HS&E policies and procedures.
- Accountable for defining new policies as required as a result of evolving Business/Operational needs which are unique to the Test team (e.g. safety in the EMC, Electronics Lab and Test Cell Environment).
- Accountable for defining and delivering all agreed milestones across all 3 team disciplines.
- Accountable for workload distribution, allocation and monitoring of all defined objectives, including commissioning and execution of any Work Packages supported by other Safran entities or external agencies to ensure all workload demands are met (to cost, quality and time).
- Accountable for managing the coaching, development needs and Performance Management of the team whilst also creating an environment to maximize employee engagement.
- During bid phase, support with test execution know-how / lessons learnt and estimate Engineering NRCs for any V&V work packages.
- Accountable for developing a culture of Continuous Improvement (CI) and high performance within the Test teams. Identify areas for improvement, plan and implement changes to develop the service. This includes raising and delivering CAPEX projects across engineering of which the total cost is circa £1M annually.
- Accountable for demonstrating and developing direct reports in line with the Safran Leadership Model.
- Providing relevant technical guidance on V&V test activities to others
- Extensive experience in an appropriate Engineering V&V environment (or a relevant Engineering qualification).
- Extensive experience in Validation and Verification activities and process from development to qualification testing
- Extensive experience in facility and HSE management in a similar environment (e.g. a Test House)
- Proven people management & leadership skills with significant experience in managing a large group of engineers, or large projects.
- Capability to build credibility with stakeholders and work effectively with multi-discipline teams (Systems & Control, R&T, Product Design, Electromechanical Engineering, , TLS / Manufacturing Engineering), demonstrating the ability to work collaboratively.
- Robust planning skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Sound judgment and strong decision making.
- Change management facilitator.
- Ability to motivate others to deliver high performance.
- Resource management, forecasting & demand management.
- Experience of ISO/IEC 17025 would be advantageous
Specificity of the job
- © Safran