To define, carry out and report development and qualification tests on Safran Electrical and Power products and systems
• Ability to lead a maximum of two Test and Means Engineers, coordinating activities and liaising with Project Managers, V&V Strategy & Process Engineers and the customer.
• Understand budget constraints and plan to work within them as effectively as possible.
• Be ready to work off site at other Test Houses to setup and perform testing for Safran Electrical and Power products.
• Interact with the customer on all technical aspects of the project, definition, development and qualification phases.
• Performing electrical, mechanical development and qualification tests on LPS products using high speed drives in conjunction with electrical, electronic and mechanical test equipment and analogue and digital instrumentation.
• Performing environmental development and qualification tests on LPS products using a range chambers and vibration test equipment.
Be able to conduct and to teach and instruct others to perform the following tasks:
• Involvement in the design process, working with engineers from other disciplines including Design, Stress, Configuration, Materials etc.
• Provide Technical Development and Certification advice
• Design of specific tests for specific customer criteria.
• Specification, design and setting up of mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical systems, including specific electrical impedances.
• Ability to fault find test equipment and test rigs.
• Specification of tooling, jigs and test fixtures
• Ability to plan workload (using MS Project)
• Conducting environmental testing in accordance with RTCA DO-160, MIL–STD 810 and internal procedures.
• Ability to use and program Data Acquisition hardware and software systems (DasyLab and / or Dewesoft would be an advantage)
• Writing and approval of Technical documentation, including test procedures, Engineering Reports, Compliance Analysis, Equipment Specifications and Production Acceptance Test Specifications.
• Perform data analysis of test results, assess trends to identify and help resolve unit under test performance issues.
• Ability to guide and train other engineers as required.
• Raise capital sanctions for high cost items including procurement specifications, financial and technical justification and acceptance test requirements.
Key performance measures
• On Time Delivery / On Quality Delivery
• Technical performance during the whole life cycle performance
• First Time Right (Qualification Testing and Reports)
• Reporting directly to the Test, Means and Laboratory Manager and to the relevant Project Lead Engineer
• Will be expected to be capable of being a Work Package Owner, and therefore the point of contact for all Validation and Verification activities on a specific program.
Decision Making Authority
• Appropriate methods of performing tests to specific industry standards.
• Choice of rig hardware, instrumentation and monitoring.
• Prioritisation of personal tasks within project timescales
• An Engineering related qualification
• Must be self-sufficient and largely self-motivated.
• Ability to communicate clearly through written and verbal means to all levels of staff e.g. peers, Design Engineers, Maintenance Team, Senior Management, interact with other Engineering teams and the external customer.
• Ability to work under pressure to meet program deadlines
• Extensive Development / certification knowledge and experience e.g. thorough understanding of all aspects of Development Engineering including Compliance Verification, Technical Risk, compilation of technical documentation, use of instrumentation
• Experienced in Data Acquisition System and Analysis tools (Flexpro & DasyLab would be an advantage)
• Advanced knowledge of 3 stage generators, 2 and 4 pole both fixed and variable frequency, Motor Drive Systems knowledge and experience of full aircraft electrical system would be an advantage.
• Good working knowledge of MS Software i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project.
• Evidence of written English at interview stage. This will be through providing certification of a formal English or technical qualification studied in the UK or overseas in English. If this cannot be provided you will be required to complete and pass an online SHL English comprehension test as part of the interview process.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Electrical & Power is one of the world's leaders in aircraft electrical systems. The company is a key player in the equipment electrification and in the electric and hybrid propulsion sector. It has 11,500 employees across 13 different countries.
- © Safran