• To develop innovative mechanical design solutions, to current and future aerospace industry
challenges, on existing and next generation smart motor and power generation technologies.
To lead and deliver project based engineering work-package activities, by ensuring mature and
robust mechanical solutions, designed to meet manufacturing, cost and weight targets.
• Primary responsibility is to create and support the definition of robust mechanical design
solutions, for R&D / R&T project/s, by ensuring the designs are technically robust, fit for
purpose and meet both the business and customer needs.
• Responsibility for the oversight and approval of design solutions, delivered by other Product
Engineers within designated teams. Where necessary, support other senior, Principal and
Senior Principal Engineering teams with design review and approval.
• Support and/or ownership of, one or more Engineering Work Packages, for the Mechanical
Design of products.
• Technical supervision of a small team, incorporating all engineering disciplines, to meet the
needs of the project. These will include directly interfacing with Mechanical Engineering,
Stress & Thermal, Supply Chain, Industrialisation, Validation and Verification (V&V),
Configuration and Quality.
• No direct report functional responsibility, but Product Engineers will report technically to the
Work Package owner.
• Responsibility for the delivery of engineering solutions that meet ‘Design to Cost' and ‘Design
to Manufacture/Assembly' requirements, against programme deliverables.
• Improved awareness, through regular reporting to the Lead Engineer/s, (Principal and/or
Senior Principal Engineers), on work package status.
• The production and maintenance of CAD models, drawings and parts lists that are compliant
with all company standards, associated within the work package(s) assigned to you.
• The production and reporting of Design Assurance documentation, including, but not limited
to, design reports, test procedures and Hand/Stress calculations, such as interference fits,
thermal growth, hoop and tensile stresses, thread loadings and tolerance analyses, in support
of the work package/s.
• Removing risk, by supporting engineering design investigations and Root Cause Analysis
(RCA) activities, in order to develop mature products or technical concepts. This task involves
both new technology (R&T and R&D), and improvements to existing product lines (TLS).
• Familiarity with the Safran Electrical & Power, Product Introduction Processes (PROMPT &
DEVELOP) and the leadership or support of any gateway reviews as appropriate.
• Authoring, reviewing, and, subject to Safran approval, signing off technical documentation, for
Engineering and Through Life Support.
• The delivery of any monthly KPI milestone targets to support project needs and timescales.
Key performance measures
• Delivery of high quality, robust designs, (Models, drawings, BOM's etc.) which are fit for
purpose with a DFA/DFM mentality and ‘Right First Time' philosophy.
• Increased satisfaction from both Internal / external stakeholders. (communication, reporting,
• Delivery against assigned milestones and project tasks met on time and to budget.
• Design assurance documentation produced, is of high quality and aligned with process and
• KPI's, agreed and approved in advance and delivered consistently month on month.
• Performance objectives, agreed during annual performance reviews, and satisfactorily
completed within the agreed timescales.
• Personal development targets met, e.g. competence in use of software, increased knowledge
of our products, processes and procedures.
• Support and mentoring, generates demonstrable skills growth within the team.
• Achievement of Engineering Approval status or higher.
• Nomination to Safran ‘Specialist' or ‘Expert Status' or higher.
• Monthly review meetings and performance appraisals with line manager.
• Ongoing interaction with the internal / external Customers to ensure cross-functional
• Weekly (or sometimes daily) coordination with Technical Lead and project team to ensure
sustained alignment with objectives and priorities.
• A Mechanical, Automotive or Aeronautical Engineering degree or equivalent qualification/work
• Experience delivering work packages and supervising and guiding other Engineers in a team.
• Mechanical design experience, with rotating equipment, such as shafts, bearings seals,
• Must have an understanding of engineering materials and production methods relevant to
• Substantial dedicated experience of Electromechanical Design and Engineering using 3D
• Good working knowledge of MS Software i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
• Ability to communicate clearly, through written and verbal means, to all levels within the
business and be able to interact easily with other Engineering teams.
• Must have the ability to plan their work and others they are supervising to meet agreed
monthly milestones / tasks. Good time management is key, with an ability to prioritise and
organise themselves and others.
• Must be self-motivated and able to work on own initiative.
• Must have the ability to work under pressure to meet project and program deadlines.
• Direct experience with high-speed power generation and motor technologies.
• Familiarity with relevant engineering Software Tools (CATIA / NX, Teamcentre, Windchill,
SAP, MS Project).
• Basic understanding of Mechatronics and Electronics.
• Experience with direct dealing with internal/external customers or stakeholders.
• Experience of working with Engineering service suppliers, i.e. defining Statements of Work
and approving deliverables for outsourced staff.
• Evidence of written English at interview stage. This will be through providing certification of a
formal English or technical qualification studied in the UK or overseas in English. If this cannot
be provided you will be required to complete and pass an online SHL English comprehension
test as part of the interview process.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Electrical & Power is one of the world's leaders in aircraft electrical systems. The company is a key player in the equipment electrification and in the electric and hybrid propulsion sector. It has 11,500 employees across thirteen different countries.
- © Safran