• To provide technical guidance on materials associated with processes and polymers to ensure production continues and to act in a proactive manner by improving reliability and cost effectiveness in future motor and generator designs.
• Will act as a focal point on site for material issues connected with processes and polymers.
• Issues will include diagnosing and suggesting solutions to production problems as well as acting as one of a project team to recommend approaches or analyses for a new design. In some instances they will be expected to lead work packages for specific technical issues and may be asked to manage contractors.
• Will work with suppliers and customers to ensure optimal solutions ensuring product is safe to fly.
• Will be expected to commit and deliver to challenging project schedules.
• No direct financial or staff responsibility.
• Provide expertise to carry out in-depth material investigations and define root cause analysis on products, especially when related to process or polymeric issues.
• Work and/or liaise with other Safran entities and Safran Experts to ensure the best available technology and theory is being used on site to maximise the sites technical ability.
• Work with other Engineering departments, R&T, Project Teams, Operations, Supply Chain, and Customers to solve materials, processes and polymer related issues.
• Act as a technical authority for material and process related qualifications, approvals and any process related issues/non-conformances.
• Maintain and update material and process specifications.
• Participate and in some circumstances, lead customer briefings, design reviews, and demonstrations by providing technical guidance to ensure the electrical generators maintain the highest possible quality standard.
• Work with suppliers for material issues and monitor outsource tests for non-conforming products and for qualification of new products.
• Support University based research as needed.
• Coach graduates or other less experienced engineers.
• Closure of Permits, Concessions, PRs, ECRs etc. in an effective and timely manner.
• Successful and timely resolution of any Work Packages assigned as lead.
• Satisfaction of internal and external customers with advice given and solutions developed.
• Up to date and detailed process specifications which reflect existing and improved processes accurately.
• Robust new designs with optimized material solutions that meet all requirements.
• An increase in awareness and understanding in the rest of the team for polymer and/or process considerations
• Recommendations made to manager which are usually accepted:
o Request for additional resource to meet project schedules.
o Reassignment of task ownership due to type of expertise required.
• Decisions made without reference to manager:
o Design Decisions, i.e. material/process recommendations, material process modifications, etc..
o Design and Drawings approval (when authorised).
o Prioritization of personal tasks within project timescales.
• A degree in Engineering or related discipline.
• Substantial focused experience in materials or a related field.
• Specialization in polymers and/or processes (either through academic qualification or work experience or both).
• Prior exposure to and experience writing technical reports.
• Broad materials and processes knowledge (paint, PCBs, soldering, welding, metal finish, coatings, adhesives, metallic, surface treatment, corrosion).
• Experience in the Aerospace industry and familiarity with corresponding processes and procedures.
• Experience with direct dealing with external customer.
• Experience of working with Engineering service suppliers, i.e. defining Statements of Work and approving deliverables.
• Evidence of written English at interview stage. This will be through providing certification of a formal English or technical qualification studied in the UK or overseas in English. If this cannot be provided you will be required to complete and pass an online SHL English comprehension test as part of the interview process.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Electrical & Power is one of the world's leaders in aircraft electrical systems. The company is a key player in the equipment electrification and in the electric and hybrid propulsion sector. It has 11,500 employees across 13 different countries.
- © Safran