This role is responsible for leading and guiding the V&V strategy definition to enable demonstration of product and system-level compliance with customer and regulatory requirements in support of delivery of conforming Systems and/or Products in the electrical generator, control and motor drive domains.
• Oversight of all aspects Validation (to ensure the design meets the intent) and Verification (to ensure product compliance to requirements & regulations)
• For each development project, to oversee, lead and/or co-ordinate the definition of V&V strategy to be implemented throughout the project lifecycle across all Engineering disciplines. In order to enable adherence to budget, quality and time objectives in the overall context of the project. This entails coordinating with:
o Customers, Program Managers, Lead/Chief Engineers, Engineers across all disciplines, Project Managers, Test, Means & Laboratory and Simulation & Means teams. This would typically require interfaces with around 10 staff per project, maybe more depending on project size.
o Although predominantly focused on the Pitstone site, they will also work with similar Safran staff in France and the US too as well as personnel from any outsourced verification and/or validation work packages.
• Project V&V activities would be valued at between £2M – 5M per project
• Investment strategy: identification of new capital investment to meet new future V&V needs of up to £1.5M per occurrence.
• Accountable for defining the overall V&V strategy to be followed on a given R&T or R&D project across all levels and disciplines within Engineering.
• Accountable for verifying the customer and regulatory requirements can and have been achieved completely, correctly and without ambiguity. These include Systems, LRU and equipment requirements for generator, control and motor drives.
• Capturing customer requirements and defining the requirements data model.
• Accountable for defining optimised V&V activities, using standard and non-standard methods, and specifying appropriate resources to meet project objectives.
• Accountable for the quality of technical documentation of V&V activities on a given project (e.g. verification plans, test procedures and reports). Depending on project team allocations, accountable for authoring and peer review or approval of documents to meet customer and regulatory requirements.
• Technically oversee all V&V activity
• Where appropriate, participate in development and qualification testing of Safran products and/or systems, data acquisition and analysis of tests results to demonstrate compliance.
• Supporting the project teams to investigate problems and failures that occur during the development cycle, to facilitate resolution and to gather lesson learnt
• Where non-standard V&V activities are identified that dictate new solutions, accountable for their specification and developing justification documentation to support the CAPEX investment.
Key performance measures:
• The existence and suitability of a V&V strategy, including specifying and the approval of all the V&V activities, for each given project
• The adherence of the final products to the customer's and regulatory requirements
• Reporting directly to the V&V Manager with a monthly 121 meeting to review progress on assigned projects
• A dotted line to the relevant project Lead Engineers to ensure V&V activities are sufficiently specified and being delivered to meet customer's and regulatory requirements
• In support of the above, collaborating with Lead Engineers, Product Design Engineers, etc., to ensure they are delivering their V&V activities on time and on budget
• Key working relationship with Programs
• Focal point of contact for all V&V activities on all given projects.
• Co-ordinating relationships with other Safran sites as well as other test facilities (in or outside of Safran)
• Supporting customers and colleagues, sharing information and providing technical advice to ensure the integrity of Safran products and processes are maintained
Decision making authority:
• Selection of V&V activities to meet customer and regulatory requirements
• Problem solving in the context of development and qualification test
• Engineering approval of documents produced within and outside the V&V function
• Technical oversight of all V&V activities undertaken
• Prioritisation of personal tasks within project timescales
• Extensive experience in an Mechanical / Aeronautical Engineering discipline (or a relevant engineering qualification)
• Extensive experience in the V&V process for aeronautical equipment and systems (ARP4754A and equivalent)
• Extensive development and certification knowledge and experience e.g. thorough understanding of all aspects of development engineering including compliance verification, technical risk, compilation of technical documentation and use of instrumentation
• Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas is required:
o Hybrid Power Systems
• Extensive experience of requirements management and associated tools e.g. DOORS / Integrity
• At least one of the following expertise :
o Machine and channel system testing
o Electronic HW / SW integration testing
o Test Equipment
o EMC testing
o Environmental testing (Vibration, Temperature, Altitude, …)
• Extensive experience in data acquisition systems and analysis tools and presentation of results
• Knowledge and experience of RTCA DO-160, MIL-STD-810 and similar environmental test standards
• Experience of the full aircraft electrical system would also be an advantage
• Ability to communicate clearly through written and verbal means to all levels of staff as well as other Engineering teams and external customers to gain credibility within this stakeholder audience.
• Ability to analyse and resolve complex problems by devising creative and effective solutions
• An aptitude for working methodically and systematically in a safe manner, sharing knowledge and experience with colleagues and engineers in a positive and proactive manner
• Ability to plan and organise activities for a subset of the project team.
• Ability to work within agreed timescales, follow tasks through to completion and meet program deadlines
• Evidence of written English at interview stage. This will be through providing certification of a formal English or technical qualification studied in the UK or overseas in English. If this cannot be provided you will be required to complete and pass an online SHL English comprehension test as part of the interview process.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Electrical & Power is one of the world's leaders in aircraft electrical systems. The company is a key player in the equipment electrification and in the electric and hybrid propulsion sector. It has 11,500 employees across thirteen different countries.
- © Safran