This role provides technical leadership for an engineering project (or part of a project), responsible for technical and process compliance, recurring and non-recurring costs, adherence to agreed program and project milestones throughout the project life cycle.
• Leading a multidisciplinary team of up to 10 (complex projects) or under 10 (simpler projects) engineers (internal or subcontractors) across engineering disciplines as appropriate to the program to deliver customer expectations.
Example of projects: Product development project, System design and verification work package.
• Responsible for the technical definition of the System / Product :
o Ensure that the product is safe and fit for purpose.
o Ensure that the product design maturity is in line with TRL process.
o Ensure that all technical choices are supported by appropriate group (experts, peers, audit team).
Ensure that the Product Life cycle documentation is produced and meets the process requirements.
Project Management and reporting
Organise and lead the project in collaboration with Technical Project Manager or Programme Management.
Manage risk (assessing potential mitigation etc.).
Identify and quantify resource requirements and maintain the project plan in line with assigned resources.
Provide periodic status reports and ensure project deliverables are delivered to the agreed timescale.
• Management of project spend up to £3m (large) or under £3m (small) in accordance with budget
Management of sub-contracted work
Manage definition of Statements Of Work (SoWs) for sub-contract work.
Track and support supplier progress.
Review, track and approve supplier deliverables.
Responsible for the approval of sub-contractor time-sheets within the project team
Ensure projects are delivered to financial targets for Engineering Non-Recurring Costs (NRC) and Recurring Costs (RC) by design.
Manage labour costs.
Manage direct material costs.
Ensure traceability and compliance with Airworthiness and customer (and/or internal) requirements
Delivery of projects according to Safran PROMPT and Develop process (requirements capture and traceability, design validation and verification, design reviews etc).
Deliver definition of and adherence to project milestones, both external and internal
Support for operations; permits/concessions/PRs/Corrective actions etc
• Ensure project considers Design to Industrialisation (D2I) and Design For Manufacture (DFM)
• Interface with other functions (e.g. Operations, Business Development, Supply Chain, Programmes, Quality etc.) in coordination with Technical Project Manager (if applicable)
• Monthly 121's and performance appraisals with line manager.
• Ongoing interaction with the internal / external Customers.
• Weekly (or sometimes daily) coordination with Programme Manager/s & Technical Project Manager (TPM).
• The delivery of project(s) to budget and on schedule.
• The delivery of products to Safran process which are fit for purpose and compliant with requirements.
• The regular provision of status reporting and updates to both internal/external stakeholders.
• The provision of Product / System configuration documentation (i.e. permits/concessions/PRs etc.).
• The mitigation of risks, which have been agreed and consensus (with programs) for those that have been accepted.
• The delivery of Safety of Flight and/or Certification documentation as required.
Key performance measures
• Technical performance and compliance with customer requirements of the end product.
• Compliance to agreed-upon budget and schedule.
• Successful audits with customers and regulatory bodies as applicable.
• Monthly engineering plan execution (i.e. achievement of monthly milestone targets).
• Delivery of status updates to monthly Safran engineering KPI processes.
• Meeting Design to Cost and Design for Manufacture engineering targets.
• Internal/external stakeholders satisfaction.
• A solid and substantial background in the design of electromechanical rotary machines.
• A Degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience / combined education.
• Experience of the Verification & Validation (V&V) development cycle.
• An understanding of product development process including the interfaces between engineering disciplines, and between Engineering and other teams such as Test Equipment, Operations, Business Development, etc.
• Planning & risk mitigation ability.
• Delegation & supervision ability.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Excellent customer facing skills.
• An understanding of product design and development costs (Non-Recurring Costs).
• Must be able to Lead people both onsite and offsite (in an international setting).
• Competent with IT software tools – MS Office etc.
• Comfortable with presenting to internal/external stakeholders.
• Able to coach junior team members.
• Must be organised and have excellent time & project management skills.
• Must be self-motivated and able to work on own initiative.
• An understanding of Airworthiness requirements & Certification process.
• Familiar with relevant engineering Software Tools.
• Experience of working with Engineering service suppliers, e.g. defining Statements of Work and approving deliverables.
• Evidence of written English at interview stage. This will be through providing certification of a formal English or technical qualification studied in the UK or overseas in English. If this cannot be provided you will be required to complete and pass an online SHL English comprehension test as part of the interview process.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Electrical & Power is one of the world's leaders in aircraft electrical systems. The company is a key player in the equipment electrification and in the electric and hybrid propulsion sector. It has 11,500 employees across 13 different countries.
- © Safran