• The Principal Engineer - Electromagnetic Design is required to support new motors & power generation programs for the future, more/full electric aircraft. They will propose original concept solutions and support the design & validation of high performance electrical machines for Aerospace applications.
• The individual will be key in the transformation of Customer needs into optimized electromagnetic architecture for future electrical machines. Strong communication across all business levels and within the project team is a requirement for this role.
• Work Package Owner for the Electromagnetic Machine Design in a project team.
• The Principal Engineer - Electromagnetic Design will need to liaise with customers/key suppliers to ensure robust product specification & selection.
• Will need to liaise with Operations to ensure that production is aligned with design intentions and uninterrupted.
• No specific budgetary responsibility.
• There are no direct reports to this role but the ability to lead others will be expected.
• Select the electrical machine type, topology and sizing most appropriate to answer customers' needs (including size, weight, cost and reliability) in accordance with Safran product roadmaps.
• Undertake the electromagnetic design and performance evaluation of new products from initial concept through completion of qualification testing and into service. Take overall responsibility for machine electromagnetic performance.
• Support technical discussions with customers when required during RFI / Bid phases and during Project design phase to optimise the machine design to the requirements.
• Perform thermal analysis of electromagnetic components.
• Liaise closely with other project team members such as control (power electronics), mechanical design, stress, thermal, manufacturing, sourcing and configuration, to ensure system requirements and performance is delivered.
• Lead the development of new technology initiatives, in particular new concepts of advanced electrical machine systems aimed at new “more & full electric aircraft” applications.
• Propose innovative approaches to system and machine design to facilitate step change improvements in cost competitiveness.
• Participate in investigations and undertake analysis where necessary to resolve system performance issues.
• Maintain, develop and optimise performance predictions data of electrical machines using electromagnetic FEA tools. Introduce new techniques and software solutions, as appropriate.
• Provide technical expertise and assistance to Project Teams, Verification and Validation, Manufacturing, Customer Support and other functional departments within Engineering being the point of contact for electromagnetic designs.
• Support Business Development with electromagnetic designs for generator and motor drive systems based bids. Represent the Company at supplier, partner and customer locations, both in the UK and overseas.
• Degree or equivalent qualification in an appropriate Engineering discipline and proven track record on the design and analysis of Rotating Electrical Machine design & simulation, preferably in a generator/motor manufacturing environment.
• Must have a good working knowledge of thermal, electromagnetic FEA & system simulation tools: ANSYS Maxwell, MotorCAD and Matlab Simulink.
• Analytical skills suited to the solution of complex technical problems.
• Able to demonstrate experience in generator & motor design in a manufacturing environment.
• Experience in writing technical documents such as: design justification dossier, test specifications, engineering coordination memo, etc.
• Must have some experience of the interaction between the electrical machine and its control (Power Electronics) with specific regard to motor start concepts.
• Must be self-sufficient and self-motivated, but capable of working within a team structure.
• Good communication skills, oral and written. Must be able to effectively communicate, formally and informally with peer group, other team members, senior management, suppliers and customers.
• Must have an understanding of specific engineering materials and production methods relevant to electrical machines.
• A sound understanding of the design and Validation & Verification (V&V) process.
• Ability to work within agreed timescales and budgets and follow tasks through to completion.
• Advanced knowledge of common PC software package such as Microsoft Office.
Specificity of the job