Job Title Performance and Dynamics Engineer
Location Gloucester, UK
Safran Landing Systems is the world leader in aircraft landing and braking systems and is at the forefront of contributing to safer, more sustainable aviation for current and future generations. We design, test, manufacture and assemble landing gear used on commercial aircraft including Airbus and Boeing, and UK military aircraft such as the Eurofighter Typhoon. Gloucester is home to the UK division and has been a leader of cutting edge landing gear technology for over 90 years, since the innovative designs of Sir George Dowty. YOU can be a part of our legacy …
What will I be doing?
This is an exciting opportunity to work on major programmes within the Systems Engineering team based at Gloucester.
You will be delivering performance and dynamic analysis for the mechanical, hydraulic and occasionally basic electrical systems as they relate to the operation of aircraft, landing gear, shock absorption, extension/retraction and steering.
You will be able to understand and derive requirements and how these impact the validation and verification of the product utilising standardised methods and tools.
Possessing good knowledge of mechanical and hydraulic system products, you will help guide product development to ensure the performance and dynamics of the integrated system meet the program requirements.
• Build computational models and run simulations
• Calculate static and dynamic loads
• Conduct performance and frequency response analyses
• Conduct stability, shimmy, modal analysis and failure case analyses
• Correlate and validate computational models
• Write and validate performance and dynamics requirements
• Define and document simulation cases and pass/fail criteria
• Optimise design solutions in conjunction with other engineering disciplines
• Define test requirements and analyse and interpret test results
• Adherence to the programme schedules
What we will give you?
• Hybrid/Flexible working hours with an early finish on a Friday (4.5 day working week)
• 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays, plus the option to buy/sell annual leave
• Profit sharing annual bonus
• Our Shares scheme
• Pension scheme (up to 8% match)
• Onsite subsidised canteen, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities
• Free onsite parking
• Our dedicated Benefits Portal, with a number of schemes including life assurance, cycle to work, technology & retail savings, access to healthcare & wellbeing services, and more!
• Global and local career progression opportunities and sponsorship of training courses
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Social events throughout the year, sports and social clubs
Safran was ranked globally as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021. Our employees are at the heart of our success and we work together towards Four People Fundamentals that underpin life at Safran:
• We believe in and promote diversity and inclusion as key values across our business
• We develop our colleagues skills and build opportunities so you can shape our future
• We create a trustworthy work place to support you, as you dare to act and innovate
• We encourage collaboration and mutual support for you and your colleagues
What do you need from me?
• Knowledge of:
- Multi-body dynamic modelling and simulation
- Landing gear extension/retraction analysis
- Shock absorber performance analysis
- Recoil analysis
- Shimmy and stability analysis
- System loads generation
• Working knowledge of MATLAB/Simulink, MSC ADAMS, MSC EASY5 and AMESim
• Knowledge of nose-wheel steering analysis, vibration analysis, electrical systems engineering, airworthiness requirements and aircraft systems certification would be beneficial
• Experience on requirements management and DOORS would be beneficial.
Educational skills and experience
• A degree, or equivalent, in an Engineering discipline
What's my next step?
Please apply by uploading a CV and cover letter, and if your experience matches what we're looking for, one of our recruitment team will give you a call
Diversity & Inclusion
We want Safran Landing Systems to be a workplace where everyone feels valued, can be themselves and know they can reach their full potential. We embrace and celebrate our differences through various initiatives and support colleagues through a number of staff networks.
We're committed to building a strong, diverse workforce and making Safran Landing Systems an inclusive place to work.
‘Offers of employment will be subject to a relevant level of company security vetting, which may include a criminal record check'
Specificity of the job
Infrequently to suppliers, customers and other design offices in the UK and abroad.
Locate your future workplace
Cheltenham Road East GL2 9QH
England United Kingdom