Job Title Materials Engineer
Location Gloucester, UK
Safran Landing Systems is the world leader in aircraft landing and braking systems and is at the forefront of contributing to safer, more sustainable aviation for current and future generations. We design, test, manufacture and assemble landing gear used on commercial aircraft including Airbus and Boeing, and UK military aircraft such as the Eurofighter Typhoon. Gloucester is home to the UK division and has been a leader of cutting edge landing gear technology for over 90 years, since the innovative designs of Sir George Dowty. YOU can be a part of our legacy …
What will I be doing?
This is an exceptional chance to join the expanding Materials & Processes Laboratory team in Gloucester. Be a key player in providing expertise across a diverse range of subjects and offering crucial support to internal customers. As part of our growing team, you'll not only contribute to site-level activities but also collaborate closely with Materials & Processes Laboratories across all Safran Landing Systems divisions globally.
This role will require involvement in a broad range of key laboratory activities including supplier quality monitoring, R&T (research and technology) projects, testing campaigns and forensic investigation of landing gear parts.
• Involvement in laboratory tasks relating to raw material suppliers, forgers and foundries.
• Assist with laboratory testing campaigns relating to metallic materials, surface engineering/ protection systems and non-metallic materials.
• Contribute to R&T activities related to metallic matrix composites, additive manufacturing and damage tolerance projects, liaising with multiple internal and external customers.
• Involvement in the forensic investigation of landing gear parts.
What we will give you?
• 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays, plus the option to buy/sell annual leave
• Annual bonus & Share scheme options
• Pension scheme (up to 8% match) and life assurance (4x salary)
• Onsite parking, including EV chargers, subsidised restaurant, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities
• Our Benefits Portal offers a number of schemes including: cycle to work, technology & retail savings, access to healthcare & wellbeing services, discounted gym memberships and more!
• Global and local career progression opportunities and training & development programmes
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Social events throughout the year, and access to Dowty Sports and Social clubs
Safran was ranked globally as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Our employees are at the heart of our success and we work together towards Four People Fundamentals that underpin life at Safran:
• We believe in and promote diversity and inclusion as key values across our business
• We develop our colleagues skills and build opportunities so you can shape our future
• We create a trustworthy work place to support you, as you dare to act and innovate
• We encourage collaboration and mutual support for you and your colleague
What do you need from me?
• Knowledge of metallurgy, particularly with respect to steels, titanium and aluminium alloys.
• A broad understanding of the fabrication process used to manufacture landing gear components.
• Knowledge of surface treatments and protection systems used on landing gear structures.
• Hands-on experience of metallographic preparation, microscopy and materials testing.
• Understanding of degradation and failure mechanisms applicable to engineering materials.
• Some prior knowledge of composite materials used in aerospace applications would be advantageous.
• Ability to understand and interpret specifications relating to materials and processes.
• Must be able to write accurate and detailed technical reports and other types of technical documentation.
• Must be able to effectively communicate and convey technical information to both internal customers and the supply base.
• Must be flexible and be prepared to undertake a range of duties to assist engineering, R&T and the supply chain.
What's my next step?
Please apply by uploading a CV, and if your experience matches what we're looking for, one of our recruitment team will give you a call
Diversity & Inclusion
We want Safran Landing Systems to be a workplace where everyone feels valued, can be themselves and know they can reach their full potential. We embrace and celebrate our differences through various initiatives and support colleagues through a number of staff networks.
We're committed to building a strong, diverse workforce and making Safran Landing Systems an inclusive place to work.
‘Offers of employment will be subject to a relevant level of company security vetting, which may include a criminal record check'
Specificity of the job
Travel may be required to visit suppliers
Locate your future workplace
Cheltenham Road East GL2 9QH
England United Kingdom