Safran Landing Systems in Gloucester is offering a challenging but exciting opportunity to join our Manufacturing Engineering team. This department is central within the production organisation and responsible for producing robust quality products in line with customer expectations.
With significant emphasis given to the modernisation of equipment and systems in line with the ‘Digital Strategy', this is an exciting time to join the team. With processes becoming data driven, you will play a pivotal role in gathering and utilising appropriate data to help drive production efficiency gains into our processes whilst improving manufacturing robustness.
As a Manufacturing Engineer, you will be working at a competent level with a sound knowledge and understanding of production techniques. With a number of technical and project-based opportunities available, you could be exposed to a diverse and varied workload, such as commissioning of new assets & digital tools, refining existing production methods, or programming and industrialising new production parts.
To support your activities, you will be working closely with other functional departments, particularly Production, Quality and Engineering, to ensure robust techniques and controls are put in place that satisfy the Certification and Industrialisation requirements.
You will work within a Manufacturing Engineering team and report to the respective team leader / manager.
Key aspects of this job include the following:
• Support new product introduction and new production operations; ensuring adherence to the PPAP process.
• Produce APQP & PPAP documentation.
• Participate in design and industrialisation reviews throughout each phase of the product introduction process; implementing improvement suggestions as required.
• Prepare and run PFMEA reviews. Ensuring outcomes drive product and process improvements.
• Lead projects for process improvements and cost reduction through lean manufacturing. Focussing on product quality, labour / assets efficiency and production lead-time.
• Support utilisation and deployment of new systems and tools in line with the company's ‘Digital Strategy'.
• Support investigations / Root Cause Analysis for any defective part and implementing the corrective actions.
• Assist with commissioning of new production assets.
• Generate Salvage & Rectification layouts for any non-conforming parts and ensure corrective actions are implemented.
• Present on progress of projects to the team, ensuring achievements are shared with the wider community and internal management.
• Organise and manage review meetings with peers and shop floor personnel as required to support business and departmental objectives.
You will need a comprehensive knowledge of Manufacturing Engineering compounded by the following:
• HNC / HND level in related Engineering discipline is essential.
• Degree level in related Engineering discipline would be desirable.
• Knowledge of CATIA V5 or equivalent CAD software.
• Sound knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing, along with Functional Tolerancing & Annotation of 2D & 3D Model Based Definition. To ASMEY14.5 2009 & ISO1011 2004 standards.
• Proficient user of Microsoft office suite.
• Lean experience (Green Belt preferable).
• Motivated to develop and learn new skills.
• Be innovative and creative with regards to problem solving.
• Able to pursue and deliver objectives with minimal direction.
• Work effectively within allocated teams (cross-functional and inter-departmental).
• Strong organisational skills, with the ability to communicate at various levels within the business.
• Ability to write technical reports, clearly and accurately.
• Sound knowledge of HSE and ergonomic requirements.
Join our Team
Our employees are at the heart of our success; we offer a range of competitive benefits, hybrid working, Global career opportunities and Training and Development at our dedicated Safran University to help contribute to a safer and more sustainable aviation.
As a forward-looking company, Safran Landing Systems massively invests in Research & Development. Carbon brakes, titanium parts, composite materials, additive manufacturing, more electric systems, new surface treatments, external and internal partnerships and digital transformation are all the result of this permanent innovation effort, which enables the company to develop new products that are ever more cost-efficient, better for the environment, lighter, stronger and quieter.
At Safran Landing Systems, we pride ourselves on competitive flexible benefits that support our employees work/life balance enabling each person to contribute to the best of their ability.
• Hybrid Working and Flexible Working Scheme to attract and retain skilled employees that allows for the work/life balance you need
• 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays
• ‘On Board Benefits' Programme, providing a number of schemes such as cycle to work, technology savings, retail discounts, access to healthcare, house moving day, sports and social club
• Shares and profit share bonus scheme
• Development and Training at Safran University as well as Company Sponsorship
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Free parking onsite
• With a focus on employee health and wellbeing, we have events running throughout the year as well as an onsite large, subsidised canteen/break area with indoor seating, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities.
‘Offers of employment will be subject to a relevant level of company security vetting, which may include a criminal record check'
Specificity of the job
Occasional travel will be required
Locate your future workplace
Cheltenham Road East GL2 9QH
England United Kingdom
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Landing Systems is the world leader in aircraft landing and braking systems. The company has partnerships with 20 airframers in civil, regional, commercial and military transport, and supports 27,000 aircraft.
- © Safran