• Cylindrical Grinding, Planetary Grinding, Vertical Boring, Horizontal Boring, Turning and Honing
• Set up and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools and precision components onto machine beds plus adjust and operate specialist machine tools in order to perform precision machining operations
• Monitor and adjust feed and speeds during the machining process to ensure efficiency of both the machine and speed of process
• Use of a wide and varied range of precision measuring equipment
• Read component maintenance manuals, complex drawings and engineering layout information in order to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to complete repairs of parts within specified dimensions and tolerances
• Diagnose machine or tool malfunctions and determine need for adjustment or repairs
The programme follows a structured Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering - Machinist.
This qualification is based on national occupational standards requiring you to demonstrate both engineering skills and knowledge, with the ability to organise work and identify and prevent problems.
In the first year you will spend time at a private local engineering training provider where the relevant qualification units will be delivered and assessed. As part of your apprenticeship you will complete:
• Practical training
• A technical certificate taking a Technical Support will assist you with the ‘theory' part of your apprenticeship.
This will enable you to develop an excellent foundation in Engineering. You will also be provided with job specific training relating to auditing standards and special processes.
Year 1: You will spend time at a private local engineering training provider where the relevant
qualification units will be delivered and assessed.
Year 2-3: Will be delivered and assessed within Safran where you will be required to achieve a
Level 3 Diploma. To support individual Development Plans, all apprentices will spend allocated
time to work in different departments according to each training needs.
You will have a keen interest in science and engineering and be able to demonstrate a methodical and thorough approach to work.
You will possess excellent problem solving abilities. The role of apprentice will require you to be a confident communicator with strong interpersonal skills. You will be a motivated, hard-working individual with excellent planning and organisational skills. The ability to effectively work as part of a team and on your own will be key to your success.
Successful candidates will need to have achieved, or expect to achieve at least 5 GCSE's - including Math and English - Grade A-C or 4-9, Science and a technology.
Specificity of the job
Time shared between the Safran Landing Systems Services site and the Training Providers site, both located in Gloucester.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Landing Systems is the world leader in aircraft landing and braking systems. The company has partnerships with 20 airframers in civil, regional, commercial and military transport, and supports 27,000 aircraft.
- © Safran