Safran is an international high technology group operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defence and space markets. Safran has a global presence, with more than 95,000 employees and sales of 24.6 billion euros in 2019. Working alone or in partnership, Safran holds world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programmes to meet fast changing market requirements with total R&D expenditures of around 1.7billion euros in 2019.
Safran Seats designs and builds innovative, customised and high-value-added seating solutions for all classes: Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First class, as well as crew seats. Our complete range of ergonomic seats ensures passenger comfort, based on state-of-the-art design and engineered components to ensure optimised use of space. One million seats made by the company are now in service worldwide.
The purpose of the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer is to act as a leader and mentor within a design team that will provide design solutions from initial concept through to manufacture.
Key Responsibilities & Duties;
• To aid in the development of new product designs and to structure the product in Smarteam
• To manage the product maturity and development in Smarteam
• To lead the design effort for packages of work or small programmes and to develop and manage packages of work within the team
• To manage a small team of engineers
• To maintain the engineering quality and integrity of the work produced within their work package
• Responsible for the design and detail modelling of a variety of suite components in order to meet the programme requirements
• Cost and weight targets must be monitored, managed and met
• Senior Design engineers will be expected to communicate effectively and professionally with customers and suppliers and to manage data transfer
• Organise and participate in Design Reviews throughout each phase of the New Product Introduction process. Ensure that all necessary follow up actions are taken.
• The selection and application of materials and processes appropriate to each design element and to provide assistance to other team members
• Ensure the successful integration of each design element with the product as a whole
• Follow and contribute to the development of the Best Practice guidelines as laid out in BMS
• To check engineering packages
• Generate and/or revise specifications
Do you want to join our team?
Our employees are at the heart of our success; we offer a range of competitive benefits, career progression and training opportunities helping to ensure we build the future.
At Safran Seats GB, we continue to support our employees and their contribution by providing a range of benefits.
• 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays
• Working Hours (unless specified) are 37.5 hours per week; Mon-Thurs (8am-4:30pm), Friday (8am-1:30pm)
• ‘On Board Benefits' Programme, providing a number of schemes such as cycle to work, technology savings, retail discounts and access to private healthcare
• Fulfilling your potential with Career Progressions opportunities such as company sponsorship and further training courses
• Family friendly policies including maternity, paternity, adoptive parents, shared parental leave, parental leave and flexible working
• Equality & Diversity initiatives with internal groups for workplace engagement and involvement
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Free parking onsite
• With a focus on employee health and wellbeing, we have a large, canteen/break area with indoor and outdoor seating, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities.
Specificity of the job
There is no regular travel required with this role.
Locate your future workplace
Kestrel House, Lakeside, Llantarnam NP44 3HQ
England United Kingdom
- © Safran