SAFRAN SEATS IS A WORLD LEADER IN AIRCRAFT SEATING.
For more than 80 years, Safran Seats has been a premium manufacturer of First and Business Class seating systems for passenger airlines.
With the largest seats portfolio of all seats suppliers, we pride ourselves on innovation, customization, quality and industrial design.
Safran Seats GB, based in Cwmbran, South Wales is a 100% owned subsidiary of Safran Seats and we currently have 800+ employees (across 3 sites in the UK- Cwmbran, Newport and Brackley).
Seats GB offers:
• Unique and High-end Quality products
• Market leader in Bespoke aircraft seating
• Passenger Experience Expertise
• In-house design studio and group Synergies
• Dedicated production line and Industrialisation facilities
• Bespoke capabilities
• Co-creation abilities
Working within cross-functional team, the candidate will carry out the necessary mechanical analysis, substantiation and certification activities required to deliver a safe and reliable product which meets all the necessary regulatory safety standards. Producing substantiation documents to a high standard, on time and in full, the candidate will plan, execute and report the necessary certification activities (mechanical / structural substantiation analysis, tests, demonstrations and compliance reviews) required to qualify the product. Liaising externally with aircraft manufacturers (Boeing, Airbus, etc.) and regulatory authorities (European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)), the certification engineer will ensure that the necessary approvals (ETSO, STC or TC) are provided in time to support delivery of the product to the customers (aircraft OEM and airline operators). Support to be provided to Senior, Principal and Chief Certification Engineers as necessary.
The Certification Engineer is responsible for delivery of all mechanical analysis, structural substantiation and certification activities relating to specific cabin interior products / product platforms, such as passenger seats, seat surrounding structures and monuments associated with the seating area in the aircraft cabin.
Some UK and international travel will be required.
• Plan, conduct and report activities to demonstrate compliance of SGB cabin interior products to FAA and EASA CS/FAR Part 25, ETSO and aircraft OEM requirements, delivering on time and in full to meet programme schedule.
• Perform structural assessment/analysis of seat and seat and furniture assembly geometries to identify and define the appropriate structural substantiation strategy for the assembly, in order to ensure structural integrity during emergency landing conditions.
• Review and validate the FE analysis results with manual calculations where applicable to ensure accurate representation of the design and interface loads.
• Approve stress analysis (FEA) results for use in the generation of Interface load reports in accordance with aircraft interface load allowables. Coordinate internally with the stress team to ensure accurate representation of the FE analysis models.
• Coordinate externally with the airframe OEM to ensure a clear understanding of the aircraft load allowables, and aircraft installation requirements (Static, dynamic, abuse, cyclic if any). Resolve issues/conflicts to ensure full alignment of certification requirements.
• Compile and check test plans, test reports and other documents necessary to define, analyse and test the structural substantiation of assemblies (Dynamic, Static and Abuse/cyclic).
• Plan, organise and conduct development and certification tests to demonstrate compliance of products relating to specific programme(s) to regulatory and aircraft OEM requirements.
• Witness tests for demonstrating regulatory structural compliance (Dynamic, Static) and non-regulatory tests (Cyclic, Abuse, Environmental) relating to specific assigned programme(s).
• Approve non-regulatory tests (Cyclic, Abuse, Environmental) relating to specific assigned programme(s).
• Prepare data packages for submittal to regulators and aircraft OEMs in support of applications for EASA ETSO, STC and aircraft TC approval.
• Plan, organise and participate in compliance inspections / demonstrations to show compliance of specific products to regulations, accepted means of compliance and guidanc
Qualified to a minimum of degree level in a mechanical, aerospace or structural engineering discipline. Alternatively a HNC/HND or an equivalent qualification in a mechanical, aerospace or structural engineering discipline with a demonstrable knowledge of certification of aircraft interiors structures.
Knowledge of CS25, CSETSO and EU Commission Regulation 748/2012
Experience of working with airframe manufacturer specifications
Knowledge of SAE Aerospace Standards, FAA Advisory Circulars and Policy Statements and EASA Certification Memoranda, GM and AMC relating to the certification or aircraft interiors products
Detailed understanding and working knowledge of mechanical structures and structural load paths
Preparation of test articles, conducting test programmes and organising test facilities including the application of instrumentation.
Analysis and interpretation of graphical data in multiple forms, technical drawings and documents , stress plots and high speed films.
Do you want to join our team?
Our employees are at the heart of our success; we offer a range of competitive benefits, career progression and training opportunities helping to ensure we build the future.
At Safran Seats GB, we continue to support our employees and their contribution by providing a range of benefits.
• 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays
• Working Hours (unless specified) are 37.5 hours per week; Mon-Thurs (8am-4:30pm), Friday (8am-1:30pm)
• ‘On Board Benefits' Programme, providing a number of schemes such as cycle to work, technology savings, retail discounts and access to private healthcare
• Fulfilling your potential with Career Progressions opportunities such as company sponsorship and further training courses
• Family friendly policies including maternity, paternity, adoptive parents, shared parental leave, parental leave and flexible working
• Equality & Diversity initiatives with internal groups for workplace engagement and involvement
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Free parking onsite
• With a focus on employee health and wellbeing, we have a large, canteen/break area with indoor and outdoor seating, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Seats is a world leader in aircraft passenger and crew seats. One million seats made by the company are now in service worldwide.
- © Safran