To develop innovative mechanical design solutions, to current and future aerospace industry challenges, on existing and next generation smart motor and power generation technologies.
To lead and deliver project based engineering work-package activities, by ensuring mature and robust mechanical solutions, designed to meet manufacturing, cost and weight targets.
Engineering Work Package Owner (WPO), for Mechanical Design.
Co-ordination of a small team, incorporating engineering disciplines, to meet the needs of the project. These will include, Mechanical Design, Stress & Thermal, Supply Chain, Industrialisation, Validation and verification (V&V) and Configuration.
No direct report functional responsibility, but Design Engineers may report to the Work Package Owner depending on the project structure.
Responsibility for the delivery of engineering solutions that meet Design to Cost and Design to Manufacture requirements, against programme deliverables
Based at Pitstone UK.
Travel to other sites in the UK and Abroad maybe required
• To lead the engineering design activities on R&D and R&T projects from concept, through development and qualification testing and into technology readiness or service.
• The production of Design Schemes, including CAD models, assemblies and 2D drawings for concept and detail designs of electrical machines.
• To carry out design calculations such as interference fits, thermal growth, hoop and tensile stresses, thread loadings and tolerance analysis to support concept and detail designs.
• To liaise closely with other project team members such as stress, manufacturing, sourcing and configuration with respect to new designs or design changes.
• Operate in accordance with the Safran Electrical & Power Product Introduction Process (PIP) and lead the necessary gateway reviews. Be able to provide PIP process guidance to more junior engineers.
• The production and reporting of Design Assurance documentation and approval of reports.
• The production and maintenance of design monitors spreadsheets such as performance, cost and weight.
• The production and maintenance of parts lists as defined by latest CAD assemblies.
• To agree and manage the delivery of monthly KPI milestone targets to support project needs and timescales. Monitor progress and ensure satisfactory milestone compliance of a minimum of 80% month on month.
• To arrange and run design reviews in accordance with Safran Electrical & Power design procedure.
• To support the Lead Engineer to ensure the technical integrity of the product and that it meets all performance, reliability, cost and safety requirements.
• Provide support to other team members in completion of their activities.
• Mentoring of Junior Engineers
Key performance measures:
• Performance objectives agreed during annual performance reviews to be satisfactorily completed within the agreed timescales. For example: Concept designs produced and reviewed at PDR stage, design analysis correctly completed, Detail designs completed and reviewed at CDR stage according to project schedule needs.
• Personal development targets met e.g. competence in use of software, knowledge of the product etc.
• Delivery against assigned milestones.
• Delivery of high quality, robust designs, fit for purpose with a DFA/DFM mentality and Right First Time philosophy.
• Project tasks met on time and to budget.
• Professional attitudes and behaviours in keeping with corporate Leadership competencies.
• A Mechanical, Automotive or Aeronautical Engineering degree or equivalent qualification.
• Extensive, mechanical design experience, with high speed, rotating equipment, such as shafts, bearings seals, structures etc. Direct experience with high speed power generation and motor technologies is desirable.
• Must be proactive, self-sufficient and self-motivated.
• Ability to communicate clearly, through written and verbal means, to all levels within the business and be able to easily interact with other Engineering teams. Experience with direct dealing with external customer is desirable.
• Ability to work under pressure to meet program deadlines.
• A minimum of 5 years dedicated Experienced of 3D CAD software (CATIA / NX desirable).
• Good working knowledge of MS Software i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project.
• Understanding of Mechatronics and Electronics is an advantage
• Must have an understanding of engineering materials and production methods relevant to them.
• Must be able to produce designs with consideration of design to cost, and ease of manufacture and assembly.
• Good time management is key, with an ability to prioritize and organize themselves and others.
• Must have the ability to plan work efficiently to meet agreed monthly milestones / tasks.
• Must be able to produce and deliver technical presentations to employees and customers at any level.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Electrical & Power is one of the world's leaders in aircraft electrical systems. The company is a key player in the equipment electrification and in the electric and hybrid propulsion sector. It has 11,500 employees across 13 different countries.
- © Safran