The Chief Engineer, Modeling and Simulation is responsible for driving functional excellence, methodologies, and standards globally across the multi-site Modeling and Simulation domain for all divisions in Cabin.
The Chief is responsible for the technical leadership of all Modeling and Simulation to support design, engineering and production of Safran Cabin products. Additionally, the Chief provides professional and technical guidance across Cabin to ensure that effective engineering standard practices, processes, procedures and methodologies are developed, implemented and adhered to for analysis activities across all divisions. The Chief Engineer, Modeling and Simulation will work in conjunction with the Engineering Manager, Modeling and Simulation and the Chief Engineers, Stress – Europe and North America to drive standard practices and procedures for Stress Engineering and Modeling and Simulation across all divisions.
This position will report to the Director, Modeling and Simulation, Core Engineering for Cabin.
• Lead efforts to develop methodologies, processes and procedures specific to the modeling and simulation function to support continuous improvement, standardization and drive efficiencies across the development and certification process across Cabin
• Contribute to the resolution of technical issues (current and upcoming), and in-service issues
• Engage in technical reviews to reduce program risk associated with Stress/M&S responsibilities
• Be a technical resource for all departments, (Marketing, Contracts, Project Engineering, Manufacturing, etc.), offering specialist knowledge and guidance as required specific to analytical modeling and simulation
• Review and approve technical documents
• Advise on role of Stress and M&S on new product/feature/design concepts and designs (risk analyses, expert reviews on proposed designs, etc.)
• Support the growth of a more analytical culture across the business and drive proactive analysis into the engineering function
• Provide technical support and expertise to high priority or challenging issues, possibly even leading a domain team engaging in resolution
• Drive strategy to develop capability for Qualification/Certification/Substantiation by Analysis, including improving accuracy and confidence of analytical models, validation by testing, advanced techniques and engagement in driving materials property and allowables database
• Support development of metrics to drive efficiencies into Stress/M&S domain
• Support strategy
Education: Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent, in Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering, or related technical field
Experience: Minimum 15 years engineering developing aircraft interior products and systems with exposure to Stress Certification process; 3 years formal technical leadership experience
• Aviation/Aerospace background and aircraft interior industry experience
• Experience working with the FAA, EASA and other Regulatory Agencies
• Deep technical knowledge within digital prototyping technology domain coupled with broad industry and market experience
• In-depth knowledge of analytical techniques in Structural linear and non-linear analysis, CFD, Vibration, Fatigue as well as vast knowledge of analytical software as applied to aerospace systems and component analysis
• In depth knowledge of the Aerospace verification and validation process. Has completed several development cycles of complex Products or Systems
• Identify design deficiencies and opportunities for improvement based on analysis, test observation and test results
• Working knowledge of accepted design practices and solutions in Aircraft Industry is preferred
• Ability to build effective working relationships, persuade and influence, and problem-solve complex issues
• Experience coaching and providing technical leadership to a team of engineers.
• Strong communication, time-management, and problem-solving skills
Additional Preferred Skills: (not required)
• Masters or MBA desirable
• Multi-site experience preferred
• Proven ability to effectively interface with global aircraft interior customers (i.e. Commercial Aircraft OEMs)
• Working knowledge of Part 25 Regulations as they pertain to Aircraft Interiors and Materials
Description: Senior-level position within field
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Cabin is a world leader in fully integrated Cabin Interiors, Catering Systems and Cargo Equipment.