Safran Electronics and Defense Canada designs and manufactures electronic control units and components for aerospace and safety critical applications. Our multidisciplinary team consists of product, hardware, software and test specialists with a vast array of skills and competencies to meet the rigorous demands of the market.
We are currently looking for an FPGA / PLD Designer to join our Engineering team. You will be part of the core team to define the requirements, implement and verify FPGA based designs using VHDL and/or other modelling languages. The job will include involvement in all stages of the design life-cycle following the guidelines of a DO-254 or equivalent process.
• Capture, Define and Refine product specifications into a set of device level requirements including functional architecture, allocation and justification or derived requirements
• Implementation of requirements into VHDL code including usage of existing IPs, standard protocols (e.g. Omnibus, Ethernet, SPI, I2C, AMBA, etc.)
• Simulation and Physical Integration and Test including trouble shooting, debugging and design modification
• Perform the integration of the design into the larger scale product and/or system
• Create and maintain life cycle data to support the design, implementation and verification of the item
• Support estimation and planning activities
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering (or equivalent) with a focus on Digital Design
• 5+ years of FPGA / PLD development experience preferably in aerospace, defense or medical product environments using VHDL or similar languages
• Knowledge and experience with DO-254 or similar guidelines for ensuring a safe and rigorous design process
• Experience designing and implementing interfaces between digital devices and microcontrollers including communications and data busses, common protocols and error handling
• A background in embedded control systems, preferably in the aerospace and defense domain, including working knowledge of system interfaces and sensors such as RVDT/LVDT, BLDC motors, Servo Motors, temperature and pressure sensors and ARINC communications. The ability to model and simulate these aspects in a MatLab/Simulink type environment would be an asset.
• Working knowledge of the ModelSim toolset for development and verification of VHDL designs
• Excellent verbal and communication skills
Locate your future workplace
2000 Fisher Dr ON K9J 6X6
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 76,800 employees and sales of 15,3 billion euros in 2021 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and innovation roadmap.
Safran was ranked as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Safran Electronics & Defense is a world leader in the supply of solutions and services in optronics, avionics, electronics and critical software for both civil and military markets. The company equips more than 1,000 ships, 25,000 land vehicles and 10,000 aircraft worldwide.
- © Safran