ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Methods Engineer provides engineering (solution) expertise for existing and future Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO) activities and functions, for defence products.
The Methods Engineer, will interact closely with the MRO Support Operations department of Safran Electronics and Defense Australasia, and will develop and adapt technical solutions with Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) for related products. The solutions will include development of technical process and procedures for support activities, and development and upkeep of Support and Test Equipment (S&TE).
The objective of the role is to ensure efficient and effective engineering support, between Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) and MRO Support Operations, to ensure quality for delivered products and services.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Perform Support Engineering to enable efficiency and effectiveness of MRO activities and facilities for the Support Operations department.
• Creation/adaptation and upkeep/update of documentation relating to the workshop/field environment, specifically with respect to Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) process and procedures (Work Instructions, Inspection Documentation, Test Specifications/Reports, etc.);
• Conduct Engineering investigations into quality and procedural issues relating to MRO activities, in collaboration with OEMs; and
• Provide support for operations process and procedural activities relating to MRO functions.
• Provide Engineering Support for Support and Test Equipment (S&TE) to ensure equipment availability and operational effectiveness for MRO activities.
• Provide technical support for MRO S&TE, including troubleshooting, reporting, development/adaptation of tools/equipment;
• Perform commissioning and validation activities for MRO S&TE in collaboration with technicians and the facilities manager; and
• Provide support in any S&TE requirements planning for MRO activities.
• Proactive participation in Continuous Improvement initiatives reduce waste and optimize resources for MRO Activities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION / EXPERIENCE:
• Tertiary qualification in Engineering relating to Electronics, Mechanics or Mechatronics
• Minimum of 3 years' experience as a production support engineer or similar discipline within an industrial or defence environment
• Practical experience with technical process and procedures relating to production assembly or MRO activities for technical products
• Proven experience in executing lean and/or six sigma activities with positive outcomes
• Experience in technical documentation and processes IAW Quality Standards AS/NZS9001, AS/NZS9110, and AS/NZS14001 framework
• Skills and knowledge on service and repair processes and quality (airworthiness/seaworthiness)
• High level of competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint Access and Project
• The following differentiators will be highly regarded:
o Experience or Competencies in IPC Soldering (A-610 and/or 7711/7721)
o Experience with engineering activities such as configuration control, change control, V&V and/or development activities
o Skills and competency in VBA and/or Access Database
• Ability to obtain and maintain an Australian Department of Defence security clearance to Negative Vetting Level 1
• Decisive and self-starting attitude, with energy and motivation to be effective in a very demanding environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Ability and willingness to liaise with all levels within the organisation
• High-level accuracy and attention to detail
• Strong problem solving techniques
• Proactive, Autonomous, Rigorous, Organised
• Interest in advanced technologies
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Electronics & Defense is a world leading supplier of products and services that handle observation, decision and guidance functions for both civil and military applications. The company understands and applies a wide range of the state-of-the-art technologies that underpin embedded intelligence in many different areas, as a supplier to some of today's most innovative aerospace and defense programs.