Machine Architect – Motor Drive & Generator Systems
Architecture and systems engineering
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Pitstone, England, UK
Regular Full time, Full-time
The Machine Architect is required to direct new motors & power generation programs for the future, more electric aircraft. The Architect will convert customer requirements into viable engineering solutions that are technically and commercially ready for Aerospace applications.
Strong communication across all business levels and within the project team is a requirement for this role.
- • Responsible for the technical definition of the System / Product :
o Interfacing with the customer in order to determine their evolving needs
o Ensure the high level set of customer requirements is consistent, complete, correct, and operationally defined.
o Ensure that a maximally robust design is developed.
o Ensure that the product is safe and fit for purpose.
o Ensure that the product design maturity is in line with TRL process.
o Ensure that all technical choices are supported by appropriate groups (experts, peers, audit team, …)
o Stakeholder Management of Customer, Divisional and Site Leadership.
o Oversee, review, verify & approve design calculations and technical proposals in the relevant project & discipline.
o Full responsibility for the technical integrity of products, systems and sub-systems on a programme/s.
o Lead relevant technical root cause analysis (RCA).
- • Project Management and reporting
o Manage and mitigate risk.
o Identify resourcing requirements and maintain the project plan in line with assigned resources.
o Ensure projects are delivered to financial targets for Engineering Non-Recurring Costs (NRC) and Recurring Costs (RC) by design
Manage task estimation and dependencies.
Manage labour costs.
Manage direct material costs.
- • Process Accountability
o Delivery of projects according to Safran Product Introduction Process (requirements capture and traceability, design validation and verification, design reviews etc.)
o Deliver definition of and adherence to project milestones, both external and internal
o Support for operations; permits/concessions/PRs/Corrective actions etc.
- • Ensure project considers Design to Industrialisation (D2I) and Design For Manufacture (DFM)
- • Interfacing with other functions (e.g. Operations, Business Development, Supply Chain, Programmes, Quality etc.) in coordination with Technical Project Manager (if applicable)
Decision making authority:
- • Technical decisions and direction
- • Support project planning & risk mitigation to meet schedule and budget targets
- • Understanding/application of Airworthiness requirements
- • Delegation & supervision of direct/indirect staff within the Project team
- • Support the selection of on-boarding candidates
- • Provide ‘peer review' advice, mentoring and leadership of less experienced engineers to help them in engineering design decisions across all relevant projects
- • Authoring, reviewing, and approving engineering documentation in the related discipline
- • Definition of project and resource plans to meet programme milestones and budget
- • Contribution to engineering budget (short & long term)
- • Definition of, and adherence to, monthly Safran engineering KPI processes
- • Delivering project(s) to budget and schedule
- • Delivery of products to Safran process which are fit for purpose and compliant with requirements
- • Provision of status reporting and updates to both internal/external stakeholders
- • Facilitation of efficient inter and intra-team interactions
- • Ensure Product / System configuration is managed and maintained (e.g. permits/concessions/PRs etc.)
- • Manage risk and associated mitigation activities
- • Compiling and collating documentation for Safety of Flight / Certification
Key performance measures:
- • Technical performance and compliance.
- • Compliance to budget and schedule
- • Successful audits with customers and regulatory bodies
- • Monthly engineering plan execution ( e.g. achievement of monthly milestone targets)
- • Delivery of inputs to monthly Safran engineering KPI processes
- • Meeting Design to Cost and Design for Manufacture engineering targets
- • Internal/external stakeholders satisfaction
- • A Degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience / combined education
- • Experience of successfully leading and delivering a cross-functional package of work
- • A record of producing excellent engineering solutions
- • Ability to quickly identify design anomalies that may affect performance, reliability and durability in the field
- • A sound understanding of a variety of design, simulation and development processes
- • Ability to analyse and resolve complex safety critical problems by devising and negotiating creative and effective solutions
- • Experience of the Verification & Validation (V&V) development cycle
- • An understanding of product development process including the interfaces between engineering disciplines, and between Engineering and other teams such as Test Equipment, Operations, Business Development, Industrialisation, etc.
- • Supporting new business growth by promoting Safran capabilities to customers, in investigating possible opportunities and in preparation of responses to customer Requests for Proposal/Information (RFP/RFI)
- • Planning & risk mitigation ability
- • Delegation & supervision ability
- • Ability to work well under pressure
- • Excellent customer facing skills
- • An understanding of product design and development costs (Non-Recurring Costs)
- • Must be able to Lead people both onsite and offsite (in an international setting)
- • Competent with IT software tools – MS Office etc.
- • Comfortable with presenting to internal/external stakeholders
- • Must be organised and have excellent time & project management skills
- • Must be self-motivated and able to work on own initiative
- • An understanding of Airworthiness requirements & Certification processes
- • Familiar with relevant engineering Software Tools
- • Experience of working with Engineering service suppliers, e.g. defining Statements of Work and approving deliverables.
- • Evidence of written English at interview stage. This will be through providing certification of a formal English or technical qualification studied in the UK or overseas in English. If this cannot be provided you will be required to complete and pass an online SHL English comprehension test as part of the interview process.
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap.
Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector.
Safran Electrical & Power is one of the world's leaders in aircraft electrical systems. The company is a key player in the equipment electrification and in the electric and hybrid propulsion sector. It has 15,000 employees across 13 different countries.
Principal Systems EngineerPublished on 07/07/2021Pitstone Bucks , United Kingdom Regular Full time Architecture and systems engineering
Machine Architect – Motor Drive & Generator SystemsPublished on 06/14/2021Pitstone Bucks , United Kingdom Regular Full time Architecture and systems engineering
System and V&V CoE ManagerPublished on 01/14/2021Pitstone Bucks , United Kingdom Regular Full time Architecture and systems engineering