Project Engineer 2
Architecture and systems engineering
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Huntington beach, California, UNITED STATES
Regular Full time, Full-time
More than 5 years
The Project Engineer 2 (PE2) is responsible for all engineering and technical aspects of a specific system, subsystem, or component of a product. The PE2 serves as the primary contact point for the design, development, qualification, certification, and integration of the product. The PE2 also provides technical inputs regarding budget, procurement, and scheduling for those items under the responsibility of Engineering. The PE2 is responsible for monitoring progress, and providing management the appropriate visibility on all aspects of the project.
The PE2 is responsible and accountable for ensuring that all assigned engineering personnel are coordinating their activities with other project participants and that the requirements of the Contract are being satisfied. A PE2 typically leads a moderate NRE/medium-high revenue growth program comprised of multiple/complex monuments and/or with new technology. A PE2 is usually assigned to a medium or medium high risk program contained in a large single site or multiple sites. The program is typically for an established customer with multiple subcontractors. May directly supervise 1 to 10 Design Engineers.
Summary of Duties:
Communication (internal and external) [PE Competency]
- • Primary technical contact for the project internally and externally.
- • Creates and manages the Features Analysis / Long Lead item list to ensure an on-time First Article Inspection (FAI).
- • Issues design memorandums and meeting minutes.
- • Responsible for notifying certification departments throughout the program, as a planning function, of changes to the design that impact certification aspects.
- • Ensures up-front integration of Industrial Design requirements.
- • Defines the standard parts, materials, and notes to be used to ensure commonality across all products.
- • Ensures correct integration of products and equipment from other facilities or BUs
- • Coordinates activities during initial production of new product designs to prevent, evaluate and/or resolve engineering related production and installation problems.
- • Coordinates the construction of samples, mockups, prototypes, and the execution of development tests, to minimize the risk of failures of new, untested materials, or designs.
- • Provides the Certification and Technical Publications departments the information required to meet all report and manual submittal requirements for the airframe manufacturer, regulatory agency, and the customer.
Design Leadership [PE Competency]
- • Contributes to the preparation of proposals, including the development of statements of work and non-recurring engineering estimates.
- • Formulates conceptual design to meet customer requirements.
- • Establishes and tracks all design criteria associated with the product throughout the duration of the project and disseminates them to all engineering team.
- • Leads and manages the design input to all customer and internal design review meetings.
- • Responsible for product design conformity to engineering principles, and compliance to regulatory requirements, customer requirements, quality standards, and specifications.
- • Defines the test requirements necessary to satisfy regulatory certification requirements, and to develop robust, reliable products.
- • Drives the engineering team to Design-for-Manufacturing (DFM).
- • Facilitate frequent IDR (Internal Design Review) meetings ensuring participation with Senior Design engineers from different programs and Experts from within our organization.
- • Responsible for managing and meeting the weight and schedule for design deliverables for the project.
- • Approves 2D and 3D design data.
Technical Schedule Management
- • Use Task Management Software to create and maintain a project plan including manpower requirements, while monitoring the progress of the design
Education: BS Engineering/Science, or 2-Yr Technical degree and 3-5 years of experience in the field
Experience: Minimum 5-10 years of experience working on aircraft products with expanding responsibilities relating to program execution. At least three (3) years on programs requiring FAA or EASA certification.
Managerial Experience: 3-7 years of experience in Project Management, broad knowledge of Project Engineer competencies.
Travel: The ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required to support customer meetings and design reviews.
Computer Skills: Experience with Windows 7 Operating System, MS Office: Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. CATIA V5 (viewing and analyzing), SmarTeam.
Additional Preferred Skills: (not required)
- • Bachelor's degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
Knowledge and Skill Expectations:
- • Thorough understanding of Safran Cabin Design and Drafting standards for the creation of engineering data.
- • Knowledge of Safran Cabin design, production and build processes.
- • Able to work with aircraft coordinate systems.
- • Able to work out the aircraft interface from specifications.
- • Able to understand and interpret interface documents.
- • Understanding of the structural, flammability, electrical and airworthiness requirements for aircraft interiors.
- • Able to communicate effectively with customer, suppliers, and internal departments.
- • Able to lead and conduct design review meetings with internal departments and customers and document in meeting minutes.
- • Actively seeks ways to improve the product and engineering process.
- • Frequently verifies design progress during development.
- • Actively involves other cross-functional groups in obtaining information for the engineering decision making process.
- • Signature authority to check and approve drawings.
- • Approved for MRB to disposition NCRs.
Specificity of the job
1. Does require fluent communication in English.
2. Employment status is full-time.
3. Minor traveling may be required.
4. Protracted or irregular hours may be required.
5. Relocation to another facility may be required.
It is the policy of Safran to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, gender identity, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap.
Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector.
Safran Cabin is a world leader in fully integrated Cabin Interiors, Catering Systems and Cargo Equipment.
Design Engineer 2Published on 04/05/2021Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Architecture and systems engineering
Design Engineer 3Published on 04/05/2021Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Architecture and systems engineering
Design Engineer 4Published on 04/02/2021Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Architecture and systems engineering