Project Engineer 2
Passenger and Crew Experience
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Huntington beach, California, UNITED STATES
Regular Full time, Full-time
More than 5 years
The duties of the Project Engineer 2 include direct responsibility for all engineering and technical aspects of a specific system, subsystem, or component of a product. The Project Engineer 2 serves as the primary contact point for the design, development, qualification, certification, and integration of the product. The Project Engineer 2 also provides technical inputs regarding budget, procurement, and scheduling for those items under the responsibility of Engineering. The Project Engineer 2 is responsible for monitoring progress, and providing management the appropriate visibility on all aspects of the project.
The Project Engineer 2 (PE2) is responsible and accountable for ensuring that all assigned engineering personnel are coordinating their activities with other project participants and that the requirements of the Contract are being satisfied. A PE2 typically leads a moderate NRE/medium-high revenue growth program comprised of multiple/complex monuments and/or with new technology. A PE2 is usually assigned to a medium or medium high risk program contained in a large single site or multiple sites. The program is typically for an established customer with multiple subcontractors (Safran companies & external). The Project Engineer reports to the Program Manager as part of the value stream for his/her project, and has a support responsibility to all functional groups and managers. May directly supervise 1 to 10 Design Engineers.
Summary of Duties:
1.) Communication (internal and external) [PE Competency]
- • Primary technical contact for the project internally and externally.
- • Creates and manages the Features Analysis / Long Lead item list to ensure an on-time First Article Inspection (FAI).
- • Issues design memorandums and meeting minutes.
- • Responsible for notifying certification departments throughout the program, as a planning function, of changes to the design that impact certification aspects.
- • Ensures up-front integration of Industrial Design requirements.
- • Defines the standard parts, materials, and notes to be used to ensure commonality across all products.
- • Ensures correct integration of products and equipment from other facilities or BUs
- • Coordinates activities during initial production of new product designs to prevent, evaluate and/or resolve engineering related production and installation problems.
- • Coordinates the construction of samples, mockups, prototypes, and the execution of development tests, to minimize the risk of failures of new, untested materials, or designs.
- • Provides the Certification and Technical Publications departments the information required to meet all report and manual submittal requirements for the airframe manufacturer, regulatory agency, and the customer.
5.) Technical Management [Technical Risk / Financial Impact]
5a.) Technical Schedule Management
- • Use Task Management Software to create and maintain a project plan including manpower requirements, while monitoring the progress of the design against the plan;
- • Provide management with frequent (preferred weekly) Task Management Software progress reports.
- • Status and track suppliers engineering progress to support program requirements.
- • Responsible for financial targets as established by the Project Manifesto with regards to Bill of Materials, Tooling, Materials, Processes, and other KPIs as applicable.
- • Drives the engineering team to Design-to-Cost (DTC).
- • Monitors scope of work changes that may affect schedule, cost, or weight and communicates impacts to the Program Manager.
- • Evaluates and approves design changes.
- • Maintains the certified status of the project.
- • Supports and develops the overall technical competency of the project team through mentoring, formal training, and on-the-job experience.
- • Assesses the skills of the team and works with the Engineering Manager to make formal training plans.
Education: BS Eng/Science (Mech/Aero Preferred), or 2-Yr Technical degree and 3-5 Yrs Experience in field
Experience: Minimum 5-10 years experience working on aircraft products with expanding responsibilities relating to program execution. At least three (3) years on programs requiring FAA or EASA certification.
Managerial Experience: 3-7 yrs exp in Project Management, broad knowledge of Project Engineer competencies.
Computer Skills: Experience with Windows 7 Operating System, MS Office: Project, Word, Excel,
PowerPoint. CATIA V5 (viewing and analyzing), SmarTeam.
Knowledge and Skill Expectations:
- • Thorough understanding of CDZ Design and Drafting standards (CDE1000) for the creation of engineering data.
- • Knowledge of CDZ design, production and build processes.
- • Able to work with aircraft coordinate systems.
- • Able to work out the aircraft interface from specifications.
- • Able to understand and interpret interface documents (ICD).
- • Understanding of the structural, flammability, electrical and airworthiness requirements for aircraft interiors.
- • Able to communicate effectively with customer, suppliers, and internal departments.
- • Able to lead and conduct design review meetings with internal departments and customers and document in meeting minutes.
- • Actively seeks ways to improve the product and engineering process.
- • Frequently verifies design progress during development.
- • Actively involves other cross-functional groups in obtaining information for the engineering decision making process.
- • Signature authority to Check and Approve drawings.
- • Approved for MRB to disposition NCRs.
- • Contributes to the preparation of proposals, including the development of statements of work and non-recurring engineering estimates.
- • Formulates conceptual design to meet customer requirements.
- • Establishes and tracks all design criteria associated with the product throughout the duration of the project and disseminates them to all engineering team.
- • Leads and manages the design input to all customer and internal design review meetings.
- • Responsible for product design conformity to engineering principles, and compliance to regulatory requirements, customer requirements, quality standards, and specifications.
- • Defines the test requirements necessary to satisfy regulatory certification requirements, and to develop robust, reliable products.
- • Drives the engineering team to Design-for-Manufacturing (DFM).
- • Facilitate frequent IDR (Internal Design Review) meetings ensuring participation with Senior Design engineers from different programs and Experts from within our organization.
- • Responsible for managing and meeting the weight and schedule for design deliverables for the project.
- • Approves 2D and 3D design data.
Specificity of the job
Travel: The ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required to support customer meetings and design reviews.
It is the policy of Safran to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, gender identity, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aircraft propulsion and equipment, space and defense markets. Safran has a global presence, with more than 92,000 employees and sales of 21 billion euros in 2018. Working alone or in partnership, Safran holds world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes Research & Development programs to meet fast-changing market requirements, with total R&D expenditures of around 1.5 billion euros in 2018.
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters and is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Universum ranking for the favorite companies of newly-qualified engineers in France.
Safran Cabin provides all elements of a seamlessly integrated Cabin Interior. From the overhead bins, lavatories and galleys to crew rests and cargo containers, either as independent world class products or as a fully integrated cabin. The company is headquartered in Huntington Beach in Southern California, USA and operates 30 sites in 11 countries. The over 13.000 employees across the globe serve virtually all the airlines, aircraft leasing companies and airframe manufacturers worldwide.
Senior Design EngineerPublished on 02/21/2020Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience
Project Engineer 3Published on 02/12/2020Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience
Stress Engineer ManagerPublished on 02/11/2020Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience