Mechanical Design Engineer 3
Passenger and Crew Experience
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
17311 nichols lane ca 92647 huntington beach, California, UNITED STATES
Regular Full time, Full-time
More than 5 years
The Mechanical Design Engineer will size and design mechanical systems based on functional requirements using engineering analyses, modeling and simulation. Evaluate mechanical parts and assemblies. Design prototypes and product improvements and conducts tests to evaluate and debug system performance
Summary of Duties:
- • Develop design of mechanical systems from functional requirements. Creates system block diagrams, functional flows, and system models. Sizes components, performs trade-off comparisons of various approaches. Generates CAD solid model sketches.
- • Sketches, block diagrams, layout drawings, CAD solid models, drawings
- • Based on required system performance, performs analyses to determine functional performance, sizing, and various system input and output parameters to result in an acceptable system design. Analysis could include: modeling, simulation, stress analyses, flexure, mechanical motion, thermodynamic modeling, heat flow, fluid flow, weight, CG, force loads, vibration, g-loads, energy conversion, velocities, inertias, capacity volumes, and other properties of systems and subsystems. The results are used to select best design approach and sizing of systems. Performs tolerance stack-up analyses.
- • Construct and model other engineering parameter studies using available models, supplier specs and assistance, and expert advice, to include: optical components, mechanical properties of electronic and electro-mechanical devices, magnetic devices, and EMI and thermal shielding.
- • Analyze component and subsystem specs, system timelines and timing diagrams.
- • Select materials for mechanical designs based on structural needs and materials specifications. Evaluate trade-offs in materials, hardness, composites, treatments, coatings, and other selections to best meet design objectives. Work with materials suppliers and material testing when needed.
- • Advise on materials specifications, material processing and coating specifications, material testing reports
- • Apply experience and knowledge, and work with Manufacturing Engineers to optimize designs for reduced parts counts, reduced manufacturing costs, reduced assembly error, and other factors affecting production cost and quality
- • Bachelor's degree (B.S. in Industrial, Aeronautical, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering) or equivalent
- • 5 to 8 years of experience in the aircraft industry or related field
- • Drafting experience and computer skills
- • Familiar with aerospace procedures, tools and hardware, MIL specs.
- • Knowledge of electricity, circuit construction and electromechanical components is a plus
- • Familiar with test setups and related data acquisition devices and equipment
- • Good mechanical aptitude assumed
- • Self-starter with initiative, being effective with the ability to work independently or within a cross functional team toward achieving results
- • Familiar with MIL-STD-810 / RTCA-DO-160 / Boeing D6 and Airbus ABD requirements
- • Knowledge and skill in use of SolidWorks CAD software, SmartTeam PLM software, SolidWorks stress analysis, mechanical motion modeling, and weight and balance analysis.
- • Knowledge of industry design practices, fasteners, materials, component parts, and ability to search and specify new supplied parts.
- • Knowledge of manufacturing methods, design-for-manufacturing, manufacturing cost concepts, and materials. Experience designing for minimum parts count.
- • Experience designing for thermal considerations, strength, rigidity, and vibration requirements, designing for weight reduction.
- • Basic understanding of aircraft plumbing, hydraulics and refrigeration.
- • Understand aircraft structure and placement of components within the structure.
- • Experienced in electrical harness assembly process with the knowledge of specification controlled techniques such as soldering and crimping.
- • Knowledge in the use of NC machines. Knowledge of CAD & CAM and use in making shop aids and machining functions.
- • Excellent technical understanding of drafting standards (ANSI Y14.5)
- • Must be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision
- • Adaptable to changing environments and handle multiple tasks and/or projects simultaneously.
- • Strong technical knowledge about aircraft industry standard design practices
- • Excellent technical knowledge about industry standard CAD software, especially CATIA V5.
- • Team oriented and able to work collaboratively and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
- • Good communication skills
- • Excellent mechanical aptitude and knowledge
- • Strong understanding of certification process for aircraft interiors (FAA/EASA/JAA/CAA).
- • Strong understanding of airframe OEM requirements.
- • Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet time deadlines.
Additional Preferred Skills: (not required)
- • Desired leadership experience in Aerospace
Description: Mid-Experienced level position within engineering field.
ID: DGAL - 76735
- • Bills of Materials, assembly concepts, fabrication specifications
- • Apply experience and knowledge to implement safe and proper human-machine interfaces. Works with Marketing and Sales to develop esthetic product designs that meet the market need and customer acceptance.
- • Solid model designs, mock-up models, presentation renderings, Design presentations
- • Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge in mechanical design practices, materials, components, and software design tools Independently finds or creates solutions to problems requiring research, resourcefulness and creativity
- • Prepare test setups and develop test reports
- • Create qualification test procedures and qualification test reports
- • Create EDES and NOC
- • Understands, follows, and promotes, Safran Cabin P&Ps related to product development.
- • Conduct activities in a safe manner
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aircraft propulsion and equipment, space and defense markets. Safran has a global presence, with more than 92,000 employees and sales of 21 billion euros in 2018. Working alone or in partnership, Safran holds world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes Research & Development programs to meet fast-changing market requirements, with total R&D expenditures of around 1.5 billion euros in 2018.
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters and is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Universum ranking for the favorite companies of newly-qualified engineers in France.
Safran Cabin provides all elements of a seamlessly integrated Cabin Interior. From the overhead bins, lavatories and galleys to crew rests and cargo containers, either as independent world class products or as a fully integrated cabin. The company is headquartered in Huntington Beach in Southern California, USA and operates 30 sites in 11 countries. The over 13.000 employees across the globe serve virtually all the airlines, aircraft leasing companies and airframe manufacturers worldwide.
Design Engineer 2Published on 12/10/2019Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience
Stress Engineer ManagerPublished on 12/04/2019Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience
Hardware Configuration Management Engineer 3Published on 11/26/2019Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience