Strategic Sourcing Manager
Employees / Staff
Employees / Staff
Carson, California, UNITED STATES
Regular Full time, Full-time
More than 8 years
The individual in this position purchases assigned items and manages specific suppliers, ensuring quality, delivery, and specification requirements are met at the lowest possible cost. This individual sources new suppliers, negotiates prices/terms and conditions, assesses supplier performance, requests corrective action when required, and expedites (or de-expedites) material orders to ensure timely and economical completion of customer requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- • Prepares competitive bidding documentation and evaluates supplier quotations to select sources of supply utilizing commercially available sources to verify financial stability
- • Negotiates contractual terms regarding quantity, price, delivery, quality, freight routings, and other standard or special contract terms
- • Negotiates and manages Blanket Orders for commodities under responsibility
- • Monitors Open orders and expedites production shortages to meet customer/MRP demand, including resourcing parts if existing supplier is incapable of supporting
- • Verifies, coordinates and negotiates delivery schedules with supplier / internal customer (planning/sales) in short lead-time situations
- • Coordinates with Accounts Payable personnel on billing and/or credit issues
- • Coordinates the return, rework or exchange of defective materials
- • Issues and confirms Purchase Orders with the vendors in a timely manner
- • Coordinates and effects Purchase Order administrative changes for all reschedules and other changes
- • Coordinates with Receiving Department on receiving/freight issues
- • Arranges for or assists in disposal of surplus material
- • Interprets drawings and drawing change notice requirements, effectivity date implications, and takes appropriate action
- • Evaluates and coordinates engineering change requests from vendors and processes with the Engineering Department until issue is resolved
- • Supports cost reduction projects and improvement initiatives to achieve overall business objectives
- • Analyzes data, including enterprise requirements planning information and prepares reports as needed to facilitate and recommend actions to ensure optimal delivery of supplier materials
- • Provides detailed cost estimates for components and systems for new business proposals
- • Identifies and documents supplier risk items and develops mitigation strategies and plans
- • Leads major projects or cross functional teams in regards to supply-chain issues
- • Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience - Bachelor's degree ; a minimum of 8-10 years of working experience in a manufacturing environment and/or equivalent combination of education, experience and professional knowledge. APICs certification and aerospace experience is strongly preferred.
Language Skills - Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers or members of management.
Mathematical Skills - Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; designs work flows and procedures.
1. Thorough understanding of negotiation techniques and tactics
2. Detailed knowledge of industry-specific procurement requirements
3. Understanding of Supply Chain Management operational concepts surrounding purchasing, logistics, incoming product inspection and inventory control
4. Thorough understanding of MRP systems to analyze and react to procurement demand and execute and manage purchase orders
5. General technical knowledge of commodities to be managed, including familiarity of key technical parameters and ability to understand and navigate through supporting technical documentation such as drawings or specifications
6. Ability to create and present models or summarized data for decision making in standard office suite of products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
7. Comprehension of Quality System requirements. Ability to request specific quality inspection criteria based on First Article performance.
8. Ability to conduct meetings with appropriate departmental representatives to resolve supply issues with regards to materials/specification requirements and/or engineering problems and/or risk mitigation handling.
Specificity of the job
Willing to travel as needed
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aircraft propulsion and equipment, space and defense markets. Safran has a global presence, with more than 92,000 employees and sales of 21 billion euros in 2018. Working alone or in partnership, Safran holds world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes Research & Development programs to meet fast-changing market requirements, with total R&D expenditures of around 1.5 billion euros in 2018.
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters and is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Universum ranking for the favorite companies of newly-qualified engineers in France.
Commodity ManagerPublished on 02/21/2020Santa Rosa, United States Regular Full time Purchasing
SUPPLIER PERFORMANCE MANAGERPublished on 02/20/2020Santa Rosa, United States Regular Full time Purchasing
IPT Purchasing LeadPublished on 02/14/2020Cypress, United States Regular Full time Purchasing