This role exists to lead:
- V&V engineers to ensure the definition and enforcement of strong V&V strategy and methods for development through to certification activities of new aircraft electrical power products and systems
- The Test and Means team, who manage the Test Means, and execute Development and Certification testing to demonstrate compliance to product, system and Airworthiness requirements
- A team of Simulation and Means engineers who perform simulations to make data-driven decisions about physical and functional architectures.
- Leads 3 specialist sub-teams, each headed by a respective functional lead – V&V Engineering, Test & Means and Simulation & Means
- Responsible for supporting the definition and flow down annual Business Objectives, including monitoring and corrective actions to ensure they are achieved.
- Ensuring all activities to be delivered by the 3 sub-teams are effectively communicated, planned for and delivered on time.
- Responsible for ensuring agreed staffing and skill levels are achieved and maintained in line with Business needs.
- Deliver V&V Product/Work Packages primarily for Engineering but will also include similar deliverables for Product Support, Operations, etc. from time to time.
- Leading the specialist functions when required to resolve highly complex and unusual problems. In depth knowhow on a broad range of relevant electromechanical systems and how they interact with different parts of the system is essential.
- Financial responsibilities: 1 to 2.5 million (primarily headcount).
–economical Engineering performance ensuring highest value for money.
- Significant contribution to, and management of, Capital Expenditure for Engineering (agreed with Deputy Head of Engineering) to maintain existing and propose new infrastructure projects to ensure Test Means are fit for purpose.
- Staff: Currently circa 15 engineers within the three sub-teams
- Accountable for technical quality, cost and timeliness of deliverables within scope of responsibility
- Accountable for defining the resource requirements in terms of staff numbers, equipment and facility requirements as well as tools and methodologies within scope of responsibility
- Accountable for managing the coaching, development needs and Performance Management of team members whilst creating an environment to maximize employee engagement in line with the Safran Leadership Model.
- Accountable for developing and maintaining the skills and capability within scope of responsibility to ensure the right breadth and depth of technical skills and competency is always ready to meet the evolving needs of the Business.
- Accountable for establishing processes specific to activities, and adherence of both internal and external resources to those processes.
- Accountable for flow-down and execution of Engineering-related HS&E policies and procedures
- Accountable for defining and implementing new policies as required as a result of evolving Business/Operational needs which are unique to the scope of responsibility (e.g. safety in the Test Cell Environment).
- Accountable for workload distribution, allocation and monitoring of defined objectives, including commissioning and execution of any Work Packages supported by other Safran entities or external agencies to ensure all workload demands are met (to cost, quality and time).
- During bid phase, support with technical know-how / lessons learnt and estimate Engineering NRCs for the work packages under scope of responsibility.
- Accountable for the definition and Continuous Improvement (CI) of all Engineering processes specific to scope of responsibility.
- Providing relevant technical guidance to other functions.
- Accountable for facilitating sufficient co-ordination between the teams and Operations to ensure that future test equipment and products are able to be built, tested and supplied, meeting the specific requirements of Operations in a reliable and effective manner.
- Accountable for ensuring that the V&V test facilities (Test Rigs, Environmental Lab, Electronics Lab and EMC Facility) has sufficient maintenance activities as well as managing a level of capital investment in the development of the facilities
- Educated to degree level in a relevant technical subject or has had comparable technical experience
- Extensive experience in an appropriate Engineering V&V environment as well as validation activities from development to certification testing
- Extensive experience in facility and HSE management in a similar environment (e.g. a Test House)
- Proven people management & leadership skills with significant experience in managing a large group of engineers, or large projects.
- Capability to build credibility with stakeholders and work effectively with Engineering and other business functions demonstrating the ability to work collaboratively.
- Robust planning skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Sound judgment and strong decision making.
- Change management facilitator.
- Ability to motivate teams to deliver high performance.
- People: resource management, forecasting & demand management.
- Familiarity with the principles of design to cost, design for manufacture and design for assembly with a track record of novel solutions to achieve the manufacturing costs and assembly needs.
- Experience of ISO/IEC 17025 would be advantageous
- © Safran