This role exists to ensure that the electromechanical product designs, processes and procedures, are applied robustly across the Engineering Department. This role requires that the correct support, guidance and technical oversight is applied, to ensure that the designs of our Generators, Motors and associated product lines are fit for purpose, of a high quality, cost efficient and are developed with a ‘Right First Time' approach, to ensure we meet the needs of the business and its customers.
In addition, the role holder is required to provide specialist mechanical engineering guidance and leadership, as an internal company specialist, to support the solving of complex engineering problems.
• Primary responsibility is for the technical (electromechanical) definition and steering of R&D / R&T projects by ensuring that the design is technically robust, safe and fit for purpose.
• Support of, or ownership of, one or more Engineering Work Packages, for the Mechanical products.
• Co-ordination of a small team, incorporating engineering disciplines, to meet the needs of the project. These will include, Mechanical Design, Stress & Thermal, Supply Chain, Industrialisation, Validation and verification (V&V) and Configuration.
• No direct report functional responsibility, but Product Engineers & Senior Product Engineers will report technically to the Work Package Owner / Principal Mechanical Engineer.
• Responsibility for the delivery of engineering solutions that meet ‘Design to Cost' and ‘Design to Manufacture' requirements, against programme deliverables.
• To ensure all mechanical products consider robust industrialisation (D2I process).
• Ensure and support the co-ordinate and interfacing with other engineering & programme functions.
• Prime contact for advice, expertise and resolution of electromechanical related technical queries.
• Planning of engineering design investigation activities, designed to remove risk and develop mature products or technical concepts. The role will involve both new technology, and improvements to existing technology, where unique or unusually complex problems need to be resolved.
• Support the interpretation of customer and internal technical requirements, against which robust electromechanical solutions can be developed and validated. He or she will need to verify these mechanical solutions by applying the most suitable combination of design, calculation, analysis and validation testing.
• Will provide independent specialist technical support and act as a Peer Reviewer for projects.
• Mentoring and leadership of less experienced engineers to help them in engineering decisions across all relevant projects.
• Authoring, reviewing, and approving engineering documentation across Engineering and Through Life Support.
• Support of, and adherence to, monthly Safran engineering KPI processes and contribution to engineering budget (short & long term).
• Formal and informal training, of less experienced personnel, will be required to ensure continual technical skills growth is discernible within the team.
• Able to provide technical leadership and direction for Root Cause Analysis (RCA), in the event of Product Integrity issues and their potential effect on Airworthiness.
• Degree BSc/MSc or equivalent qualification in an appropriate Engineering discipline and/or a proven and demonstrable track record of Mechanical Design skills and experience (10+ years)
• Experience of team leadership, mentoring and oversight.
• A self-motivated and a self-starter, who takes ownership and responsibility for their tasks.
• Should have a record of problem solving, producing excellent engineering solutions to complex engineering problems.
• Be able to communicate effectively, formally and informally with peer groups, other team members, suppliers and customers, both internal and external.
• Must have an understanding of engineering materials and production methods relevant to them.
• A sound understanding of the aerospace design and development process, ideally within both R&T and R&D (NPI) environments.
• An aptitude for working systematically, managing their own work and the work of others, and providing sound strategic visibility in the management of the team and products.
• Leadership and team management skills with a proactive and energetic style.
• Ability to work within agreed timescales and budgets, and follow tasks through to completion.
• Ability to gain credibility and liaise with the stakeholder audiences, including peers, management and customers, produce and deliver presentations to employees at any level and customers.
• Experience of liaison with a variety of teams, including customers, suppliers, Safran partners and sub-contract agencies.
• Ability to analyse and resolve complex problems by devising creative and effective solutions.
• Competency with current software packages, including Microsoft Office tools, CAD systems NX/CATIA, PLM databases, Windchill/Teamcentre, and a fundamental ability to review and digest analysis documentation (Stress FEA, Thermal and bearings).
• Ability to perform, review and demonstrate hand calculations and their techniques.
Ability to support the generation and maintenance of performance metrics, to measure the quality and delivery performance of the Project team, and use this performance information to further improve the performance of the team.