SAFRAN LANDING SYSTEMS IS THE WORLD LEADER IN AIRCRAFT LANDING AND BRAKING SYSTEMS.
Safran Landing Systems is the world leader in aircraft landing and braking systems. Our capabilities encompass the full life cycle of our products, ranging from design and manufacture to in-service support, repair and overhaul.
We are a partner to 30 leading commercial, military, business and regional airframers, and support over 27,000 aircraft making more than 60,000 landings every day. There are also more than 7,600 employees working in locations across Europe, North America and Asia.
Join our Team
Our employees are at the heart of our success; we offer a range of competitive benefits, hybrid working, Global career opportunities and Training and Development at our dedicated Safran University to help contribute to a safer and more sustainable aviation.
As a forward-looking company, Safran Landing Systems massively invests in Research & Development. Carbon brakes, titanium parts, composite materials, additive manufacturing, more electric systems, new surface treatments, external and internal partnerships and digital transformation are all the result of this permanent innovation effort, which enables the company to develop new products that are ever more cost-efficient, better for the environment, lighter, stronger and quieter.
This is an exceptional chance to join the Materials & Processes Laboratory team based in Gloucester. The team provides Materials & Process expertise on a wide variety of subjects and provides support to a broad range of internal customers. As well as supporting activities at a site level, the Gloucester Laboratory team work closely with other Materials & Processes Laboratories within Safran Landing Systems.
This role will require involvement in a broad range of key laboratory activities including supplier qualifications, testing campaigns and forensic investigation of landing gear parts.
• Involvement in laboratory tasks relating to raw material suppliers, forgers and foundries.
• Support the Supplier Quality Assurance team during audits of key raw material/ forging suppliers.
• Assist with laboratory testing campaigns relating to metallic materials, surface engineering/ protection systems and non-metallic materials.
• Involvement in the forensic investigation of landing gear parts.
• Authoring and review of technical reports, specifications and other technical documentation.
Candidate skills and requirements
• Knowledge of metallurgy, particularly with respect to steels, titanium and aluminium alloys.
• A broad understanding of the fabrication process used to manufacture landing gear components.
• Knowledge of surface treatments and protection systems used on landing gear structures.
• Hands-on experience of metallographic preparation, microscopy and materials testing.
• Understanding of degradation and failure mechanisms applicable to engineering materials.
• Some prior knowledge of non-metallic materials (e.g. elastomers) used in aerospace applications would be advantageous.
• Ability to understand and interpret specifications relating to materials and processes.
• Must be able to write accurate and detailed technical reports and other types of technical documentation.
• Must be able to effectively communicate and convey technical information to both internal customers and the supply base.
• Must be flexible and be prepared to undertake a range of duties to assist engineering, production and the supply chain.
• Must be prepared to travel, sometimes at short notice, to worldwide locations.
Educational skills and experience
• A degree in metallurgy or materials engineering/ science is preferred, though candidates from other science and engineering disciplines may be considered depending on their prior experience.
• Previous experience of working in a materials laboratory environment, preferably within the aerospace sector.
At Safran Landing Systems, we pride ourselves on competitive flexible benefits that support our employees work/life balance enabling each person to contribute to the best of their ability.
• Hybrid Working and Flexible Working Scheme to attract and retain skilled employees that allows for the work/life balance you need
• 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays
• ‘On Board Benefits' Programme, providing a number of schemes such as cycle to work, technology savings, retail discounts, access to healthcare, house moving day, sports and social club
• Shares and profit share bonus scheme
• Development and Training at Safran University as well as Company Sponsorship
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Free parking onsite
• With a focus on employee health and wellbeing, we have events running throughout the year as well as an onsite large, subsidised canteen/break area with indoor seating, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities.
‘Offers of employment will be subject to a relevant level of company security vetting, which may include a criminal record check'
Cheltenham Road East GL2 9QH
- © Safran