Job Title Landing Gear Test Engineer
Location Gloucester, UK
Safran Landing Systems is the world leader in aircraft landing and braking systems and is at the forefront of contributing to safer, more sustainable aviation for current and future generations. We design, test, manufacture and assemble landing gear used on commercial aircraft including Airbus and Boeing, and UK military aircraft such as the Eurofighter Typhoon. Gloucester is home to the UK division and has been a leader of cutting edge of landing gear technology for over 90 years, since the innovative designs of Sir George Dowty. YOU can be a part of our legacy …
What will I be doing?
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Systems Integration & Test team based in the UK working on a variety of test programs in support of aircraft landing gear development and qualification.
In this role, you will be responsible delivering development and qualification tests, from the early planning phases, development and set up of test solutions, execution of tests, through to final reporting. The testing will include static, fatigue, endurance and environmental tests for the development of new landing gear technology, qualification of new products and supporting in-service programmes.
You will be required to:
• Review test procedure requirements
• Define detailed resource plans to achieve requirements
• Lead the execution of test activities
• Operate control & data acquisition systems.
• Installation of test instrumentation
• Conduct fault finding to resolve test issues
• Liaise with internal and external customers and suppliers
• Compile technical documentation and test reports
• Participate in the on-going process improvement within the test facility
What we will give you?
• Hybrid/Flexible working hours with an early finish on a Friday (4.5 day working week)
• 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays, plus the option to buy/sell annual leave
• Annual bonus
• Our Shares scheme
• Pension scheme (up to 8% match)
• Onsite parking, including EV chargers, subsidised restaurant, Costa, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities
• Our Benefits Portal offers a number of schemes including: cycle to work, technology & retail savings, access to healthcare & wellbeing services, discounted gym memberships and more!
• Global and local career progression opportunities and training & development programmes
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Social events throughout the year, and access to Dowty Sports and Social clubs
Safran was ranked globally as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Our employees are at the heart of our success and we work together towards Four People Fundamentals that underpin life at Safran:
• We believe in and promote diversity and inclusion as key values across our business
• We develop our colleagues skills and build opportunities so you can shape our future
• We create a trustworthy work place to support you, as you dare to act and innovate
• We encourage collaboration and mutual support for you and your colleagues
What do you need from me?
An experienced engineer in your own field and with a good knowledge of other disciplines you will have worked in a mechanical test environment.
You will need a minimum HNC/Degree or equivalent in Mechanical / Electrical or Mechatronics Engineering and experience within a qualification/development test environment and
with the necessary experience to be successful in the role, to include the following:
• Experience in structural strength, fatigue, endurance, environmental or Flight Test Instrumentation'
• Experience in electrical & hydraulic systems, servo controls and PLC controllers.
• Experience in the application & use of test control systems, data acquisition systems and instrumentation.
• Practical experience within a test environment
• Knowledge of strain gauging and application (Strain gauge theory would be advantageous).
• Calibration of transducers e.g. force, pressure, displacement.
• Technical report writing
• Project management skills to meet customer requirements and deliver customer satisfaction on quality, cost and time.
• Excellent computer literacy & IT skills e.g. Microsoft Applications.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What's my next step?
Please apply by uploading a CV and cover letter, and if your experience matches what we're looking for, one of our recruitment team will give you a call
Diversity & Inclusion
We want Safran Landing Systems to be a workplace where everyone feels valued, can be themselves and know they can reach their full potential. We embrace and celebrate our differences through various initiatives and support colleagues through a number of staff networks.
We're committed to building a strong, diverse workforce and making Safran Landing Systems an inclusive place to work
'Offers of employment will be subject to a relevant level of company security vetting, which may include a criminal record check'
Cheltenham Road East GL2 9QH