Job Title Design & Analysis Engineer
Location Gloucester, UK
Safran Landing Systems is the world leader in aircraft landing and braking systems and is at the forefront of contributing to safer, more sustainable aviation for current and future generations. We design, test, manufacture and assemble landing gear used on commercial aircraft including Airbus and Boeing, and UK military aircraft such as the Eurofighter Typhoon. Gloucester is home to the UK division and has been a leader of cutting edge of landing gear technology for over 90 years, since the innovative designs of Sir George Dowty. YOU can be a part of our legacy …
What will I be doing?
Reporting to an Engineering Group Leader you will work on design tasks within an Integrated Project Team and support meeting deadlines for engineering design deliverables. As an Engineer at Safran, you will play a key role in our low carbon journey to make aviation safer and more sustainable.
• Contribute to all aspects of design from concept to
detail design throughout the whole lifecycle of a
• General static stress analysis and fatigue analysis
• Work competently with Catia & ABAQUS
• Understanding of stress hand calculations
• Interfacing with other areas of the business where
necessary: Chief Engineers, Programmes, Test
Engineering, Manufacturing etc.
• Work on required design solutions and modifications
as requested by your EGL
• Participate in design reviews and present information
as and when requested
• Participate in the validation of the product
• Liaise with external suppliers, customers, airframers,
regulatory bodies and other industrial organisations
• Identify design solutions and assist in recommending
improvements or suggesting alternative methods
• Create/review drawings, designs, concessions and
• Communicate professionally & effectively with both
internal & external customers and suppliers
• Comply with industry standards, regulations &
What we will give you?
• Hybrid/Flexible working hours with an early finish on a Friday (4.5 day working week)
• 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays, & the option to buy/sell annual leave
• Annual bonus
• Shares scheme
• Pension scheme (up to 8% match)
• Onsite parking, including EV chargers, subsidised restaurant, Costa, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities
• Our Benefits Portal offers a number of schemes including: cycle to work, technology & retail savings, access to healthcare & wellbeing services, discounted gym memberships and more!
• Global and local career progression opportunities and training & development programmes
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Social events throughout the year, and access to Dowty Sports and Social clubs
Safran was ranked globally as the world's third best employer in its sector by Forbes magazine in 2021.
Our employees are at the heart of our success and we work together towards Four People Fundamentals that underpin life at Safran:
• We believe in and promote diversity and inclusion as key values across our business
• We develop our colleagues skills and build opportunities so you can shape our future
• We create a trustworthy work place to support you, as you dare to act and innovate
• We encourage collaboration and mutual support for you and your colleagues
What do you need from me?
You will require a minimum HNC/Degree or equivalent in an engineering discipline and have the necessary experience to be successful in the role:
• Good working knowledge of aerospace design &
manufacturing processes. Landing gear experience
would be advantageous.
• A good understanding of the different engineering
functions (experience advantageous)
• Experience of structural mechanics & general static
• An understanding of the effective application of
• Knowledge & experience of fatigue analysis
• Ability to read & interpret engineering drawings
• Experience of working with Catia or other well
recognised FEA and fatigue software tools
• Understand material engineering properties
• Experience of GDT desirable (Geometric Design
• Experience of working to regulatory requirements
• Experience of working in an IPT environment
• Strong communication skills and the ability to clearly
What's my next step?
Please apply by uploading a CV and cover letter, and if your experience matches what we're looking for, one of our recruitment team will give you a call
Diversity & Inclusion
We want Safran Landing Systems to be a workplace where everyone feels valued, can be themselves and know they can reach their full potential. We embrace and celebrate our differences through various initiatives and support colleagues through a number of staff networks.
We're committed to building a strong, diverse workforce and making Safran Landing Systems an inclusive place to work.
‘Offers of employment will be subject to a relevant level of company security vetting, which may include a criminal record check'
Cheltenham Road East GL2 9QH