SAFRAN SEATS IS A WORLD LEADER IN AIRCRAFT SEATING.
For more than 80 years, Safran Seats has been a premium manufacturer of First and Business Class seating systems for passenger airlines. With the largest seats portfolio of all seats suppliers, we pride ourselves on innovation, customization, quality and industrial design.
Safran Seats GB, based in Cwmbran, South Wales is a 100% owned subsidiary of Safran Seats and we currently have 800+ employees (across 3 sites in the UK- Cwmbran, Newport and Brackley).
Seats GB offers:
• Unique and High-end Quality products
• • Market leader in Bespoke aircraft seating
• Passenger Experience Expertise
• In-house design studio and group Synergies
• Dedicated production line and Industrialisation facilities
• Bespoke capabilities
• Co-creation abilities
The industrialisation department is responsible for the development and introduction of new and updated products into production on time, to cost and to a high quality standard.
As a manufacturing engineer, you will have a good knowledge and understanding of the new product introduction process and be working at an advanced beginner/competent level.
You will be responsible for projects of average complexity and will work closely with other functions of the business especially design engineering to ensure product designs meet manufacturing and assembly requirements.
You will also be required to provide periodic support to operations, sales, R & T and after market teams to deliver customer requests
The job role sits within a team of 31 people comprising Lead engineers, Manufacturing engineers, Aerospace technicians (mechanical, electrical and trim) all based in Henry Thomas House, Cwmbran, Wales U.K
Scope of Responsibilities;
• Participate in design reviews throughout each phase of the new product introduction process and make improvement suggestions
• Evaluate new product designs using 3D CAD model and mock-ups and log issues. Co-ordinate design for assembly/manufacture reviews and give feedback with improvement suggestions.
• Ensure development mock-ups are built to schedule. Evaluate design, log issues and feedback to design engineers. Make improvement suggestions and validate solutions
• Conduct make vs buy analysis on new product designs and look for optimisation opportunities. Work with the purchasing and design departments to drive required changes
• Calculate production capacity requirements based on customers' demand and identify production tooling and space requirements.
• Estimate build times and required number of stations for new production processes. Carry out line balancing of operations
• Produce APQP & PPAP documentation - process flow, PFMEA, control plan, work instructions, MSA & capability studies
• Prepare and lead PFMEA reviews. Use the outcome to drive product and process improvements
• Perform validation and verification of product design to satisfy customers quality and performance expectations as stipulated by systems engineering requirements
• Identify tooling and equipment requirements for new assembly processes and write specification documents that will be used as basis for supplier quotation. Work with suppliers to ensure requirements are met.
• Support the programme team in the delivery of industrialisation milestones for key events such as PDR, CDR, Test builds, PTR and PPAP
• Check accuracy of BOM against build requirements and communicate any discrepancies to the design team.
• Participate in and contribute to route cause analysis sessions. Resolve assigned actions and feed back to team
• Compile and update industrialisation timing plan for new programmes and feed into programme level timing plan. Communicate tasks on a critical path to programme team
• Compile required information for programme and department gate reviews. Present information for department gate reviews and seek approval to progress to the next gate
• Follow the engineering change request procedure as per company policy
• Communicate effectively and professionally with customers and suppliers and ensure confidentiality of information is maintained at all times
• Ensure compliance with the company's health and safety policy at all times
B.Eng. in Mechanical, Manufacturing or Aerospace Engineering OR HND gained through an apprenticeship
Minimum of 2 years of experience in an aerospace or automotive manufacturing environment
Basic knowledge of design for manufacture and assembly principles
Basic knowledge of manufacturing processes
Interrogation of 3D CAD modelling software
Ability to interpret 2D drawings
Do you want to join our team?
Our employees are at the heart of our success; we offer a range of competitive benefits, career progression and training opportunities helping to ensure we build the future.
At Safran Seats GB, we continue to support our employees and their contribution by providing a range of benefits.
• 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays
• Working Hours (unless specified) are 37.5 hours per week; Mon-Thurs (8am-4:30pm), Friday (8am-1:30pm)
• ‘On Board Benefits' Programme, providing a number of schemes such as cycle to work, technology savings, retail discounts and access to private healthcare
• Fulfilling your potential with Career Progressions opportunities such as company sponsorship and further training courses
• Family friendly policies including maternity, paternity, adoptive parents, shared parental leave, parental leave and flexible working
• Equality & Diversity initiatives with internal groups for workplace engagement and involvement
• STEM engagement with schools, colleges and universities and Charitable activities for all
• Free parking onsite
• With a focus on employee health and wellbeing, we have a large, canteen/break area with indoor and outdoor seating, bicycle storage and shower/changing facilities.
Local and international travel may be required from time to time.
Kestrel House, Lakeside, Llantarnam NP44 3HQ
- © Safran