Are you passionate about technology or aviation? Come invent the solutions of tomorrow in the aerospace and defense industry, with an international group where innovation, teamwork and continuing, daily education are fundamental values. Join us!
Reporting to the Manager, Materials & Process, the Material & Process Engineer 4 is responsible for supporting Engineering by providing information of the best materials for use in the construction of aircraft components with respect to strength, weight, certification compliance and regulatory requirements. In addition, provide the leadership responsibility for establishing processes for production personnel to efficiently and safely use the material selected per engineering drawings. Oversee the receiving, testing, and inspection of material as established in company specifications. Provide the leadership of qualifying material to specifications and establishing qualification criteria. Publish and update material and process specification for materials and processes used throughout the company. Liaise with technical experts across the projects, company, and external organizations and institutions. May hold team lead duties.
Summary of Duties:
1. Review and approve drawings and document usage of Materials and Processes specification, cabin and industrial standards.
2. Approve manufacturing initiatives that drive personnel in producing product to established process documents and using material per specification.
3. Author materials and process standards/specifications as needed to support engineering and manufacturing practices, including establishing certification and recertification criteria.
4. Oversee the innovation and evaluation of new material for use in aircraft interior construction, in liaison with technical experts across the company.
5. Has process oversight of the receiving of products in need of testing and recertification of materials with limited shelf life
6. Supports M&S/Stress Department by overseeing the generation of materials mechanical properties and strengths
7. Leads Troubleshooting efforts and provides processing solutions for manufacturing issues related to materials
8. Actively drive engagement with Core and Division Engineering on material selection, drawing notes and descriptions, to cover all applicable disciplines requirements (primarily Flammability, M&S, Stress, Industrialization)
9. Qualifies materials to existing specifications and authors and issues Qualification Reports for those materials
10. Conducts Reliability Engineering and Advanced Aging Studies on components and materials and authors reports for them
11. Coordinates and leads multiple reviews of hazardous, controlled and/or restricted materials that do not meet Safran, Customer, Regulatory or International accords and directives.
12. Drives the Initiation and develops planning to remove suspect materials
13. Mentors other M&P Engineers, Engineering disciplines and works actively with Education resources (University, Industrial and Government) as needed to advance Materials Science
14. Lead the creation of training for new hires and existing employees on new materials and processes as established on engineering drawings and company specifications.
15. Works with manufacturing leaders to reduce labor while increasing productivity via improved processes and material and drive suggestions to Design Engineering for improved manufacturing based on availability of new material for existing and new processes.
16. May act as team lead, overseeing test technicians and junior M&P Engineers. Duties may include scheduling work, monitoring/ creating tasks, approving time cards, training staff and contributing feedback to annual performance reviews.
Traveling may be required.
Safran Cabin headquarters are in Huntington Beach, California, with a global presence of over 10,000 employees at 39 sites. Site locations are in the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Germany, France, Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Tunisia and Thailand. Safran Cabin serves over 400 airlines and leasing companies globally and delivers to all airframe OEM manufacturers with a heritage spanning over 80 years in the industry.
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, in Chemical Engineering or Material Science required.
• Minimum 8 years related experience in material science or material engineering or aerospace.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), MS Windows, CATIA V5, AutoCAD, SmarTeam is a plus
• Expert knowledge of CAD & PLM Systems.
• Responsible for multiple specifications (e.g. Metallurgy, Composites, Finishes)
1. Does require fluent communication in English language.
2. Employment Status may be part-time, full-time, or temporary.
3. Traveling may be required.
4. Protracted or irregular hours may be required.
5. Relocation to another Safran facility may be required.
Safran's Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) goes beyond our facility walls. We value and support the communities where we live and work. One of Safran's values and CSR pillar is Corporate Citizenship that helps drive economic, social and cultural progress by sharing our gifts with those around us.
• Your Career: Safran is committed to providing internal mobility to our employees. We operate globally so the sky is the limit of where your Safran journey can take you.
• Your Development: Safran employees have free access to Safran University courses and external tuition reimbursement for approved programs or certifications.
• Your Benefits: Our suite of comprehensive benefits include health care (medical, dental and vision), life insurance, 401(k) savings plans with company match, paid time off, and more!
It is the policy of Safran to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, gender identity, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- © Safran