The Director of Cost Management is responsible for managing and directing all aspects of the Cost Management function within Safran Seats USA and creates the conditions of success for costing activities to support sales offers preparation and program development process.
This role has direct responsibility for all SSUSA products' cost and cost management assigned to him/her is responsible for delivering SSUSA product cost objectives, including managing cost performance, risks/opportunities, and change control according to internal rules, processes and procedures. This role drives continuous cost improvement using company root cause and corrective action processes.
Delivers consistent, timely and precise communications to the customers (both internal and external) on all SSUSA Products. Must be in close relationship with Safran Seats Tier 1.
The Director of Cost Management directly reports to VP Programs.
Duties and Responsibilities (essential functions):
• Support bids, advanced projects and developments with recurring costs estimates, including aftermarket costs
• Participate in the definition of tools and referential for production costs within Safran Seats
• Support and recommend initiation of design to cost & cost reduction activities / methodology, with the appropriate owners (product line manager, program manager, Program Purchasing or Commodity manager). Steer such projects when agreed with relevant owner.
• Support all change control boards' activities with the assessment of costs impacts of considered changes
• Participate in Safran Seats standards costs management process, in order to ensure continuity of our costs commitments across the lifecycle of our products, from advanced projects and initial offer to final delivery
• Structure and improve globally the costing activity tools & methods
• Create or improve, standardize parametric recurring costs models and tools per commodity with the support from research & technology, Program Purchasing and Commodity manager and aftermarket departments
• Create work instructions
• RC : Review the make/buy and make sure the strategy is optimized to obtain the best costs
• RC : optimize the full family of parts to optimize the cost on the full product line
• Monitor and update the RFQ template / RC including all options of the product line (with the inputs of the technical data from the product line team)
• Accountable for confirming the RC for a full LOPA on new RFQ
• Recruit, hire, onboard, manage, train, develop, evaluate employee performance, and initiate promotions, transfers, and corrective action of Costing staff.
• Ensures harmonious working environment. Exhibits Safran Leadership model behaviors and ensures Costing team is exhibiting these behaviors as well.
• Interprets company policy to employees and ensures company policy and practices including safety are followed at all times.
i) Superior oral and written communication skills.
ii) Must be able to operate personal computer software/hardware used for communications.
iii) Ability to read, review and comprehend written communication.
iv) Speech and hearing abilities that allow the individual to communicate clearly and distinctly in English.
i) Ability to plan and think strategically.
ii) Ability to make timely decisions for programs based on best available information.
iii) Good business sense and judgment.
iv) Open minded.
Acts in accordance with company values and related competencies.
A) Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally up to twenty percent (20%) or more of the time, as required.
B) Reasonable customer entertainment can be required.
C) This position requires extended periods of sitting while working with computers and viewing computer monitors, and other office equipment. Finger dexterity needed in using misc. office equipment such as telephone, typing, fax, copy machine etc.
D) Bending, stooping, reaching and lifting up to approximately twenty pounds are required during tasks related to the job.
Knowledge and Skills:
i) This position requires an individual with a technical customer management or engineering background, ideally Product Management background.
ii) Demonstrated effective and motivational leadership skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Effectively communicate in a matrix environment.
iii) In-depth knowledge of cost management and relationships between departments within a design to cost and manufacturing environment.
iv) Must be able to train others.
v) Have a very good working knowledge of the standard suite of office software products (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, et. al.)
vi) Must be able to interact and work closely with other Business Units (France and UK)
vii) Customer focused
viii) Ability to interact with all functions of development and manufacturing process.
ix) Team Player
x) Ability to influence without authority, experiences in transversal/cross-teams work
xi) Knowledge of several manufacturing processes and understanding of their cost structure with regard to both design and manufacturing work instruction
xii) Understanding of the role of enterprise resource planning tools
xiii) Experience with design to cost methodologies
Education and/or Experience:
i) An undergraduate degree in Business Management. Manufacturing Management, Engineering or related degree is required. Master's degree is highly desirable.
ii) 10 years of proven experience in the commercial aviation industry desired, or within a comparable technical and regulated industry may be acceptable.
iii) 5 years of proven costing experience required.
iv) Strong work ethic and self-motivated.
International and/or Domestic travel required; 20% percentage of time
2000 Weber Dr TX 76240
- © Safran