Design parts and assemblies of complex machines, structure, or control systems in accordance with engineering specifications often utilizing a wide latitude for the exercise of initiative and inventiveness. May require independent work to solve design problems with minimal or no engineering input.
Specific Duties/Accountabilities % of Time
• Using basic engineering information, prepare scale engineering drawings of machines, components, assemblies, panel assemblies, motor control centers, etc.. 50
• Perform standard design calculations relative to sizing structural members and foundations, specifying hydraulic and pneumatic components and evaluating component motions. 10
• Perform and / or review tolerance stack up analysis to ensure design integrity.5
• Perform standard calculations relative to selecting power transmission equipment and electrical components plus necessary hardware for both panel design and installation. 5
• Select equipment material and finishes for designs. 5
• Contact component suppliers to verify relevant interface dimensions and performance characteristics. 5
• Review draft designs and drawings with prospective fabricators and subcontractors to verify manufacturability of designs. 5
• Reviewed checked drawing packages for design integrity. 5
• Coordinate design requirements with appropriate personnel as required. 5
• Assist in making estimates of time and material to accomplish proposed projects. 5
I. Education or Basic Knowledge Required
Associate Degree in engineering technology, B.S. in engineering technology preferred.
II. Experience Required
8-10 years' experience required, 10-15 years' experience preferred.
III. Special Knowledge /skills
Required: English, descriptive geometry, plane geometry, solid geometry, trigonometry, analytic geometry, statics, manufacturing processes, engineering materials, strength of materials, military standards, CAD/CAM.
Preferred: Familiar with geometric dimensioning and tolerance familiar with Microsoft communication skills in a team environment
IV. Complexity of Duties
High degree of judgment and planning required to provide quality designs on schedule. High degree of initiative and inventiveness to solve complicated design requirements with minimal engineering input.
V. Responsibility for Errors
High degree of responsibility for errors, which may not be easily verified by supervisor. Errors may result in production delays, financial loss and product reliability.
VI. Responsibility for Relationships with Others
Frequent contact with engineering personnel, vendors and customers to achieve desirable performance.
VII. Type of Supervision
Maybe required to provides directive supervision to designers as necessary to accomplish assignments.
VIII. Extent of Supervision
May provide directive supervision for 1-5 people depending on project assignment.
Incumbent may be required to perform other duties/responsibilities not specifically listed in this position guideline.
- © Safran