The Design Engineer (Mechanical) is responsible for planning, designing, developing and coordinating assigned engineering development projects. The design engineer's work will focus on development of mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems pertaining to aircraft arresting systems and equipment. This work will be accomplished through the implementation of systems engineering practices and use of 3D CAD tools, engineering analysis, and FEA. This position may be responsible for both domestic and foreign customer support.
These responsibilities require excellent communication and organizational skills together with good insight, awareness and sensitivity to current departmental projects and the exercise of judgment and timely action through own initiative to meet assignment schedules.
Product Line Information
Military Arresting Systems require interaction with direct government customers, both international and domestic. Military arresting systems and products include energy absorbers (textile, mechanical and hydraulic), cable and net deployment systems, portable arresting systems, and fixed installation arresting systems. Technologies include mechanical systems, hydraulic systems, textiles, electronics, and system integration.
• Devise solutions to complex engineering problems.
• Leads technical requirements definition, management, and verification activities.
• Perform required analysis and/or testing to ensure adherence to requirements
• Participate in design solution definition based on stakeholder expectations and defined requirements.
• Lead development of design solutions and recommends designs for selection.
• Leads product implementation and integration process.
• Domestic and International travel in support of product development, verification and validation.
Planning and Organizing
• Support Program Management in scheduling, project scope definition, project and system cost estimates and resource requirement determination.
• Coordinate reviews of technical information and/or product compliance aligned with project schedules.
• Support Product Line Management (PLM) activities in the development of strategic business plans and the Technology Roadmap (TRM).
• Responsible and accountable for adherence to project budgets and schedules.
• High degree of engineering judgement, planning and initiative required.
• Strong problem solving capability accounting for complex design factors, expediency, timing and human relations.
• High degree of innovation is required.
• Drive for results, action oriented
• Proficient presentation, oral and written communication skills across a variety of stakeholders
• Systems engineering processes
• Engineering change order processes
• Product Life Management software
• 3D CAD software
• Experience with mechanics, hydraulics, and material selection
• Engineering analysis software (MathCad, Simulink, MatLab, etc.) desired. Finite Element Analysis (FEA) a plus
• Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA) desired
• 2+ years of experience in engineering, design, analytical development or application work.
2550 Market Street PA 19014-3426
- © Safran