Ocean racing sponsorship: a commitment for the long haul
Passion… and shared values
In addition to our passion for sailing, shared by a number of Safran employees, we also chose to sponsor an ocean racing boat because of the many technological and cultural affinities between aerospace and maritime endeavors. Reflecting an approach that is unprecedented in ocean racing, Safran took a major role in the construction of its ocean racers, including extensive technology transfers. Six years after being launched, the original Safran Open 60 class monohull racer was still considered the benchmark in its class..
A long-term competitive endeavor that reflects Safran's values, in terms of teamwork, passion, innovation and exceeding one's limits.
A new project for 2015
Carrying on Safran's many achievements since 2005, our new project once again embodies our core values of engagement, teamwork and knowledge transmission. The Safran Sailing Team is extending its scope of action. Alongside the Imoca Open 60 program, Safran is teaming up with the clothing company Guy Cotten to support the young skipper Gwénolé Gahinet, 29, in the Figaro Bénéteau class.
Innovation and team spirit
Safran's new "sailing team" is based on the complementary profiles of its three skippers: Morgan Lagravière (Imoca), Gwénolé Gahinet (Figaro Bénéteau), and Marc Guillemot, who coaches Morgan Lagravière. After passing the baton in 2015, Marc will continue to support Morgan in the run-up to the Vendée Globe in 2016-17. At the same time, Morgan will call on his brilliant results and long experience in the Figaro class, in terms of strategy, tuning and fatigue management, to guide young Gwénolé.
As part of this forward-looking project, Safran and Gwénolé Gahinet have teamed up to create the "Jeune Talent" program. Our aim is to support young skippers just like we support the professional development of our own employees. This is a vital challenge for Safran, in fact, since over 30% of our employees were hired in the last three years. We now have to transmit to this new generation the values of innovation and teamwork that helped drive Safran to its current success as a world leader.
Morgan's record on the Safran Open 60 monohull
- 4th in the Transat St Barth – Port-la-Forêt
- Transat Jacques Vabre - abandonment
- 2nd in the SNSM Record
- 3rd in the Rolex Fastnet Race
- 1st in the SPI Ouest France Race on board J80
- Winner of the St Barth Cata Cup on board F18
- 3rd in the Solitaire du Figaro Eric Bompard Cachemire (1st in the Gijon-Roscoff leg)
- 2nd in the Solitaire du Figaro Eric Bompard Cachemire
- Champion of France in solo ocean racing
- 1st first-time participant in the Solitaire du Figaro Eric Bompard Cachemire
2008 to 2010
- Member of the French Olympic sailing team, class 49ER
- Champion of France in Open 5.70
2004 to 2006
- Sports academy (sailing), Marseille and Antibes
- World junior champion in the 420 class